Prototyping and user testing is the best way to create successful products, but many designers skip this important step and use gut instinct instead. By explaining the goals and methodologies behind prototyping—and demonstrating how to prototype for both physical and digital products—this practical guide helps beginning and intermediate designers become more comfortable with creating and testing prototypes early and often in the process.
Author Kathryn McElroy explains various prototyping methods, from fast and dirty to high fidelity and refined, and reveals ways to test your prototypes with users. You’ll gain valuable insights for improving your product, whether it’s a smartphone app or a new electronic gadget.
- Learn similarities and differences between prototyping for physical and digital products
- Know what fidelity level is needed for different prototypes
- Get best practices for prototyping in a variety of mediums, and choose which prototyping software or components to use
- Learn electronics prototyping basics and resources for getting started
- Write basic pseudocode and translate it into usable code for Arduino
- Conduct user tests to gain insights from prototypes
Table of contents
- Chapter 1. What Is a Prototype?
- Chapter 2. Why We Prototype
- Chapter 3. Fidelity for Prototypes
- Chapter 4. The Process of Prototyping
- Chapter 5. Prototyping for Digital Products
- Chapter 6. Prototyping for Physical Products
- Chapter 7. Testing Prototypes with Users
- Chapter 8. Pulling It All Together—SXSW Tasting Experience
- Chapter 9. What Have We Learned
- Appendix A. Resources and Links
- Appendix B. Glossary
- Title: Prototyping for Designers
- Release date: December 2016
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491954034
You might also like
Prototyping and Modelmaking for Product Design
Building prototypes and models is an essential component of any design activity. Modern product development is …
Designing UX: Prototyping, 1st Edition
It's well known that identifying and fixing problems in design is easier and cheaper if it …
Expressive Design Systems
Good design systems can help you create digital products with efficiency and consistency. But great design …
Beginning Adobe Experience Design: Quickly Design and Prototype Websites and Mobile Apps
Render high quality designs and interactive prototypes of web sites and mobile apps using Adobe XD's …