Exposing the self-help myths that make us all more miserable. This is what your psychologist would really tell you–if he thought you could handle it!
This is the kick up the backside the self-help genre needs: an intelligent, provocative and thought-provoking expose of the modern myths that we’re told make us happier, but in reality screw us up.
Clinical psychologist, Dr Stephen Briers shines a light into the dark corners of self-help and explodes the myths, false hopes, quack philosophies and unrealistic expectations it routinely advocates. It is a refreshing antidote to the `same old same old’ approaches, offering a radical re-think of the way we approach problems in our lives, offering empowering new perspectives and expert advice on avoiding the biggest life traps. Dr Briers questions the perceived wisdom, shakes up the status quo, and encourages us to think again.
Table of Contents
- Title page
- Introduction: what’s so wrong with popular psychology anyway?
- MYTH 1: The root of all your problems is low self-esteem
- MYTH 2: Let your feelings out!
- MYTH 3: Emotional intelligence is what really counts
- MYTH 4: Let your goals power you towards success!
- MYTH 5: No one can make you feel anything
- MYTH 6: Think positive and be a winner!
- MYTH 7: We need to talk ...
- MYTH 8: Whatever your problem, CBT is the answer
- MYTH 9: You can never be too assertive
- MYTH 10: Men and women live on different planets
- MYTH 11: Your inner child needs a hug
- MYTH 12: You can learn to do anything you want
- MYTH 13: You’d better get yourself sorted
- MYTH 14: You are stronger than you know
- MYTH 15: You are a master of the universe!
- MYTH 16: There is no failure, only feedback
- MYTH 17: It’s all your parents’ fault
- MYTH 18: You can heal your body
- MYTH 19: You are in control of your life
- MYTH 20: Married bliss: a matter of give and take
- MYTH 21: Discover the real you!
- MYTH 22: Make every second count
- MYTH 23: We must all strive to be happy
- Title: Psychobabble
- Release date: February 2013
- Publisher(s): Pearson International
- ISBN: 9780273772392