Unleash the power of Python 3 objects
About This Book
- Stop writing scripts and start architecting programs
- Learn the latest Python syntax and libraries
- A practical, hands-on tutorial that teaches you all about abstract design patterns and how to implement them in Python 3
Who This Book Is For
If you're new to object-oriented programming techniques, or if you have basic Python skills and wish to learn in depth how and when to correctly apply object-oriented programming in Python to design software, this is the book for you.
What You Will Learn
- Implement objects in Python by creating classes and defining methods
- Separate related objects into a taxonomy of classes and describe the properties and behaviors of those objects via the class interface
- Extend class functionality using inheritance
- Understand when to use object-oriented features, and more importantly when not to use them
- Discover what design patterns are and why they are different in Python
- Uncover the simplicity of unit testing and why it's so important in Python
- Grasp common concurrency techniques and pitfalls in Python 3
- Exploit object-oriented programming in key Python technologies such as Kivy and Django.
- Object-oriented programming concurrently with asyncio
Python 3 is more versatile and easier to use than ever. It runs on all major platforms in a huge array of use cases. Coding in Python minimizes development time and increases productivity in comparison to other languages. Clean, maintainable code is easy to both read and write using Python's clear, concise syntax.
Object-oriented programming is a popular design paradigm in which data and behaviors are encapsulated in such a way that they can be manipulated together. Many modern programming languages utilize the powerful concepts behind object-oriented programming and Python is no exception.
Starting with a detailed analysis of object-oriented analysis and design, you will use the Python programming language to clearly grasp key concepts from the object-oriented paradigm. This book fully explains classes, data encapsulation, inheritance, polymorphism, abstraction, and exceptions with an emphasis on when you can use each principle to develop well-designed software.
You'll get an in-depth analysis of many common object-oriented design patterns that are more suitable to Python's unique style. This book will not just teach Python syntax, but will also build your confidence in how to program.
You will also learn how to create maintainable applications by studying higher level design patterns. Following this, you'll learn the complexities of string and file manipulation, and how Python distinguishes between binary and textual data. Not one, but two very powerful automated testing systems will be introduced in the book. After you discover the joy of unit testing and just how easy it can be, you'll study higher level libraries such as database connectors and GUI toolkits and learn how they uniquely apply object-oriented principles. You'll learn how these principles will allow you to make greater use of key members of the Python eco-system such as Django and Kivy.
This new edition includes all the topics that made Python 3 Object-oriented Programming an instant Packt classic. It's also packed with updated content to reflect recent changes in the core Python library and covers modern third-party packages that were not available on the Python 3 platform when the book was first published.
Style and approach
Throughout the book you will learn key object-oriented programming techniques demonstrated by comprehensive case studies in the context of a larger project.
Downloading the example code for this book. You can download the example code files for all Packt books you have purchased from your account at http://www.PacktPub.com. If you purchased this book elsewhere, you can visit http://www.PacktPub.com/support and register to have the code file.
Table of contents
Python 3 Object-oriented Programming Second Edition
- Table of Contents
- Python 3 Object-oriented Programming Second Edition
- About the Author
- About the Reviewers
- Introduction to the second edition
- 1. Object-oriented Design
2. Objects in Python
- Creating Python classes
- Modules and packages
- Organizing module contents
- Who can access my data?
- Third-party libraries
- Case study
- 3. When Objects Are Alike
- 4. Expecting the Unexpected
- 5. When to Use Object-oriented Programming
- 6. Python Data Structures
- 7. Python Object-oriented Shortcuts
8. Strings and Serialization
- Regular expressions
- Serializing objects
- Case study
9. The Iterator Pattern
- Design patterns in brief
- Case study
10. Python Design Patterns I
- The decorator pattern
- The observer pattern
- The strategy pattern
- The state pattern
- The singleton pattern
- The template pattern
- 11. Python Design Patterns II
12. Testing Object-oriented Programs
- Why test?
- Unit testing
- Testing with py.test
- Imitating expensive objects
- How much testing is enough?
- Case study
- Case study
- Title: Python 3 Object-oriented Programming - Second Edition
- Release date: August 2015
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781784398781
You might also like
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Modern Python Cookbook - Second Edition
Complete recipes spread across 15 chapters to help you overcome commonly faced issues by Python for …
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …
Mastering Python Design Patterns - Second Edition
Exploit various design patterns to master the art of solving problems using Python Key Features Master …