Implement classic and functional data structures and algorithms using Python
About This Book
- A step by step guide, which will provide you with a thorough discussion on the analysis and design of fundamental Python data structures.
- Get a better understanding of advanced Python concepts such as big-o notation, dynamic programming, and functional data structures.
- Explore illustrations to present data structures and algorithms, as well as their analysis, in a clear, visual manner.
Who This Book Is For
The book will appeal to Python developers. A basic knowledge of Python is expected.
What You Will Learn
- Gain a solid understanding of Python data structures.
- Build sophisticated data applications.
- Understand the common programming patterns and algorithms used in Python data science.
- Write efficient robust code.
Data structures allow you to organize data in a particular way efficiently. They are critical to any problem, provide a complete solution, and act like reusable code.
In this book, you will learn the essential Python data structures and the most common algorithms.
With this easy-to-read book, you will be able to understand the power of linked lists, double linked lists, and circular linked lists. You will be able to create complex data structures such as graphs, stacks and queues. We will explore the application of binary searches and binary search trees. You will learn the common techniques and structures used in tasks such as preprocessing, modeling, and transforming data. We will also discuss how to organize your code in a manageable, consistent, and extendable way. The book will explore in detail sorting algorithms such as bubble sort, selection sort, insertion sort, and merge sort.
By the end of the book, you will learn how to build components that are easy to understand, debug, and use in different applications.
Style and Approach
The easy-to-read book with its fast-paced nature will improve the productivity of Python programmers and improve the performance of Python applications.
Downloading the example code for this book. You can download the example code files for all Packt books you have purchased from your account at http://www.PacktPub.com. If you purchased this book elsewhere, you can visit http://www.PacktPub.com/support and register to have the code file.
Table of contents
Python Objects, Types, and Expressions
- Understanding data structures and algorithms
Python for data
- The Python environment
- Variables and expressions
- Flow control and iteration
- Overview of data types and objects
- Functions as first class objects
- Classes and object programming
- Data encapsulation and properties
Python Data Types and Structures
- Operations and expressions
- Built-in data types
- Modules for data structures and algorithms
- Principles of Algorithm Design
Lists and Pointer Structures
- Pointer structures
- Finding endpoints
- Singly linked lists
- A faster append operation
- Getting the size of the list
- Improving list traversal
- Deleting nodes
- Clearing a list
- Doubly linked lists
- Circular lists
Stacks and Queues
- Tree nodes
- Binary search trees
- Binary search tree implementation
- Binary search tree operations
- Inserting nodes
- Deleting nodes
- Searching the tree
- Tree traversal
- Benefits of a binary search tree
- Expression trees
- Balancing trees
- Hashing and Symbol Tables
- Graphs and Other Algorithms
- Selection Algorithms
Design Techniques and Strategies
- Classification of algorithms
- Technical implementation
- Complexity classes
Implementations, Applications, and Tools
- Tools of the trade
- Data preprocessing
- Machine learning
- Data visualization
- Title: Python Data Structures and Algorithms
- Release date: May 2017
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781786467355
You might also like
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …
Tiny Python Projects
The projects are tiny, but the rewards are big: each chapter in Tiny Python Projects challenges …
Python for Programmers, First Edition
The professional programmer's Deitel® guide to Python® with introductory artificial intelligence case studies Written for programmers …