The parallel computing memory architecture
Based on the number of instructions and data that can be processed simultaneously, computer systems are classified into four categories:
- Single instruction, single data (SISD)
- Single instruction, multiple data (SIMD)
- Multiple instruction, single data (MISD)
- Multiple instruction, multiple data (MIMD)
This classification is known as Flynn's taxonomy.
The SISD computing system is a uniprocessor machine. It executes a single instruction that operates on a single data stream. In SISD, machine instructions are processed sequentially.
In a clock cycle, the CPU executes the following operations:
- Fetch: The CPU fetches ...