Introducing R: The Big Picture
In This Chapter
Discovering the benefits of R
Identifying some programming concepts that make R special
With an estimated worldwide user base of more than 2 million people, the R language has rapidly grown and extended since its origin as an academic demonstration language in the 1990s.
Some people would argue — and we think they’re right — that R is much more than a statistical programming language. It’s also
- A very powerful tool for all kinds of data processing and manipulation
- A community of programmers, users, academics, and practitioners
- A tool that makes all kinds of publication-quality graphics and data visualizations
- A collection of freely distributed add-on packages
- A versatile toolbox for extensive automation of your work
In this chapter, we fill you in on the benefits of R, as well as its unique features and quirks.