Achieve awesome user experiences and performance with simple, maintainable code! Embrace the full stack of web development, from styling with Bootstrap, building an interactive user interface with Angular 4, to storing data quickly and reliably in PostgreSQL. With this fully revised new edition, take a holistic view of full-stack development to create usable, high-performing applications with Rails 5.1.
Rails is a great tool for building web applications, but it's not the best at everything. Embrace the features built into your database. Learn how to use front-end frameworks. Seize the power of the application stack through Angular 4, Bootstrap, and PostgreSQL. When used together, these powerful and easy-to-use tools will open you to a new world of possibilities. This second edition is updated to cover Angular - a completely reworked front-end framework - and dives into new Postgres 9.6 features such as UPSERT. Also new is Webpack coverage, to develop the front-end code for your Rails application.
Create a usable and attractive login form using Bootstrap's styles, while ensuring the database table backing it is secure using Postgres' check constraints. See how creating an advanced Postgres index for a case-insensitive search speeds up your back end - enabling you to create a dynamic user experience using Angular 4. Create reusable components that bring Bootstrap and Angular together and effectively use materialized views for caching within Postgres. Get your front end working with Webpack, use Postgres' features from migrations, and write unit tests for all of it. All of this within Rails 5.1.
You'll gain the confidence to work at every level of the application stack, bringing the right solution to every problem.
What You Need:
Table of contents
- 1. Set Up the Environment
- 2. Create a Great-Looking Login with Bootstrap and Devise
- 3. Secure the User Database with Postgres Constraints
- 4. Perform Fast Queries with Advanced Postgres Indexes
- 5. Create Clean Search Results with Bootstrap Components
- 6. Build a Dynamic UI with Angular
- 7. Test This Fancy New Code
- 8. Create a Single-Page App Using Angular’s RouterCreate a Single-Page App Using Angular’s Router
- 9. Design Great UIs with Bootstrap’s Grid and ComponentsDesign Great UIs with Bootstrap’s Grid and Components
- 10. Cache Complex Queries Using Materialized Views
- 11. Asynchronously Load Data from Many Sources
- 12. Wrangle Forms and Validations with Angular
- 13. Dig Deeper
- A1. Full Listing of Customer Detail Page HTML
- A2. Creating Customer Address Seed Data
- A3. Customer Details Extracted Components
- Title: Rails, Angular, Postgres, and Bootstrap, 2nd Edition
- Release date: June 2017
- Publisher(s): Pragmatic Bookshelf
- ISBN: 9781680502206
You might also like
Grokking Algorithms is a friendly take on this core computer science topic. In it, you'll learn …
The Rails 5 Way, Fourth Edition
The “Bible” for Rails Development: Fully Updated for Rails 5 “When I read The Rails Way …
Expanded Edition (August 2018) Updated with Design Patterns episodes from the Clean Code series from Clean …
Learning React, 2nd Edition
If you want to learn how to build efficient React applications, this is your book. Ideal …