Photograph courtesy of Steve Agland
By the end of this chapter, you should:
- understand the concepts and physical processes of transparency;
- understand the practical issues involved in correctly ray tracing transparent objects;
- understand how a simplified model of transparency is implemented in ray tracing;
- have added the ability to ray trace transparent objects to your ray tracer;
- have ray traced a variety of transparent objects.
Transparency is my favorite ray-tracing topic. Ray tracing can accurately simulate the natural beauty of transparent objects, such as the sphere in the photograph on the first ...