Real User Measurements (RUM) is gaining recognition as an effective way to monitor user interaction with your website or application, but there are quite a few misconceptions about what RUM is and how it works. In this O’Reilly report, you’ll dive into the essence of this decades-old technology to learn why anything that can be measured can be measured with RUM.
Author Pete Mastin from Cedexis also demonstrates how RUM can track facets that affect the quality of your web service, including page load times and latency. Mastin specifically focuses on the last mile: the ISP or network that connects end users to the Internet. That last mile is often the best place to improve performance, and RUM can help you determine how.
- Learn the pros and cons of implementing RUM—and how it compares to synthetic measurements
- Use RUM for both active and passive monitoring, as well as top-down and bottom-up monitoring
- Crowd-source results by aggregating RUM measurements from several web-driven companies
- Implement RUM on your site or app at the webserver, switch, or browser
- Examine several use cases where the last mile is important, and understand the complexities involved
- Compare Internet RUM with other forms of Real User Measurements to provide context and deeper understanding
Pete Mastin, Director of Market Strategy and Product Evangelism at Cedexis, has years of experience in technology and business strategy. He has deep knowledge of IP Video, content delivery networks (CDN), and Internet and Cloud technologies.
Table of contents
- 1. Introduction to RUM
- 2. RUM: Making the Case for Implementing a RUM Methodology
- 3. RUM Never Sleeps
- 4. Community RUM: Not Just for Pirates Anymore!
- 5. What Does a RUM Implementation Look Like on the Web?
- 6. Using RUM for Application Performance Management and Other Types of RUM
- 7. Quantities of RUM Measurements: How to Handle the Load
- 8. Conclusion
- Title: Real User Measurements
- Release date: October 2016
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491944059
You might also like
Learning React, 2nd Edition
If you want to learn how to build efficient React applications, this is your book. Ideal …
Continuous API Management
A lot of work is required to release an API, but the effort doesn’t always pay …
Organizations big and small have started to realize just how crucial system and application reliability is …
Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow, 2nd Edition
Through a series of recent breakthroughs, deep learning has boosted the entire field of machine learning. …