This hands-on survival manual will give you the tools to confidently prepare for and respond to a system outage.
- Proven methods for keeping your website running
- A survival guide for incident response
- Written by an ex-Google SRE expert
Real-World SRE is the go-to survival guide for the software developer in the middle of catastrophic website failure. Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) has emerged on the frontline as businesses strive to maximize uptime. This book is a step-by-step framework to follow when your website is down and the countdown is on to fix it.
Nat Welch has battle-hardened experience in reliability engineering at some of the biggest outage-sensitive companies on the internet. Arm yourself with his tried-and-tested methods for monitoring modern web services, setting up alerts, and evaluating your incident response.
Real-World SRE goes beyond just reacting to disaster - uncover the tools and strategies needed to safely test and release software, plan for long-term growth, and foresee future bottlenecks. Real-World SRE gives you the capability to set up your own robust plan of action to see you through a company-wide website crisis.
The final chapter of Real-World SRE is dedicated to acing SRE interviews, either in getting a first job or a valued promotion.
What you will learn
- Monitor for approaching catastrophic failure
- Alert your team to an outage emergency
- Dissect your incident response strategies
- Test automation tools and build your own software
- Predict bottlenecks and fight for user experience
- Eliminate the competition in an SRE interview
Who this book is for
Real-World SRE is aimed at software developers facing a website crisis, or who want to improve the reliability of their company's software. Newcomers to Site Reliability Engineering looking to succeed at interview will also find this invaluable.
Table of Contents
- Table of Contents
- Real-World SRE
- 1. Introduction
- Why monitoring?
- Instrumenting an application
- Collecting and saving monitoring data
- Displaying monitoring information
- Managing and maintaining monitoring data
- Communicating about monitoring
- References and related reading
- 3. Incident Response
- What is a postmortem?
- Why write a postmortem?
- When to write a postmortem document
- Carrying out incident analysis
- How to write a postmortem document
- Blameless postmortems
- Holding a postmortem meeting
- Analyzing past postmortems
- 5. Testing and Releasing
6. Capacity Planning
- A quick introduction to business finance
- Why plan?
- Defining a plan
- Architecture–where performance changes come from
- Tech as a profit center and procurement
- 7. Building Tools
- 8. User Experience
- 9. Networking Foundations
10. Linux and Cloud Foundations
- Linux fundamentals
- Cloud fundamentals
- Units of scale
- Example architecture interview
- Other Books You May Enjoy
- Title: Real-World SRE
- Release date: August 2018
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781788628884