Leadership strategies grounded in reality and focused on results
Recent polls show that 71% of workers think about quitting their jobs every day. That number would be shocking-if people actually were quitting. Worse, they go to work, punching time clocks and collecting pay checks, while completely checked out emotionally. In Reality-Based Leadership, expert Fast Company blogger Cy Wakeman reveals how to be the kind of leader who changes the way people think about and perceive their circumstances-one who deals with the facts, clarifies roles, gives clear and direct feedback, and insists that everyone do the same-without drama or defensiveness. Filled with dynamic examples, innovative tools, and diagnostic tests, this book shows you how to become a Reality-Based Leader, revealing how to:
Uncover destructive thought patterns with yourself and others
Diffuse drama and lead the person in front of you
Stop managing and start leading, empowering others to focus on facts and think for themselves
Equipped with a facts-based, confident approach, you will free yourself from the frustrations you face at work and transform yourself into a Reality-Based Leader, with the ability to liberate and inspire others.
--This text refers to theKindle Editionedition.
Table of contents
- INTRODUCTION: Calling All Leaders
I. Find Peace at Work
- 1. You Are the Source of Your Suffering—and That's the Good News
- 2. If You Argue with Reality, You Lose (but Only 100 Percent of the Time): How to Heal Your Relationship with Reality
3. Would You Rather Be Right, or Wildly Successful?
- 3.1. Ego: Not to Be Confused with Confidence
- 3.2. Ego Motivation Masquerading as Selflessness
- 3.3. Work to Be Successful Rather Than Right
- 3.4. When Things Go Wrong . . .
- 3.5. Learn and Grow from Feedback, Especially If It's Negative
II. Restore Sanity to the Workplace
4. Lead First, Manage Second
- 4.1. Over-Managing and Under-Leading
4.2. Six Principles for Leading First, Managing Second
- 4.2.1. Principle 1: Resist the Urge to Add More Value
- 4.2.2. Principle 2: Coach the Person in Front of You
- 4.2.3. Principle 3: Work on Confidence First, and Competence Will Follow
- 4.2.4. Principle 4: Forget Logistics and Focus Instead on Hearts and Minds
- 4.2.5. Principle 5: Allow People to Move Fully into Their Roles
- 4.2.6. Principle 6: Disregard Any and All Attempts at Emotional Blackmail
- 4.3. Empowerment Without Accountability Is Chaos
- 4.4. A Radical Approach: Survey for Accountability
- 5. Play Favorites: Work with the Willing!
6. Change Is a Fact of Life—Get Over It! How to Bullet-Proof Your Employees
- 6.1. Three Core Competencies That Make People Bullet-Proof
- 6.2. Three Common Mistakes to Avoid
- 6.3. Best Practices in Times of Crisis
- 4. Lead First, Manage Second
III. Lead Your Team to Results
7. Opinions No Longer Count—Actions Do!
7.1. Limiting Beliefs That Hold You Back
- 7.1.1. Limiting Belief 1: Everyone's Opinion Counts
- 7.1.2. Limiting Belief 2: Great Results Can Only Come from Perfect Plans
- 7.1.3. Limiting Belief 3: Accepting Accountability for Failures Leads to a Loss of Credibility
- 7.1.4. Limiting Belief 4: There Is No I in Team
- 7.1.5. Limiting Belief 5: "Don't Bring Me a Problem Without Also Coming Armed with a Solution!"
- 7.1.6. Limiting Belief 6: There Is No Such Thing as a Stupid Question
- 7.1.7. Limiting Belief 7: In a Downturn, It's Best to Hold Back and Wait for Clarity Before You Act
- 7.1. Limiting Beliefs That Hold You Back
- 8. Stop Judging and Start Helping: The Golden Rule of Teamwork
- The Reality-Based Leader's Manifesto
- 7. Opinions No Longer Count—Actions Do!
- IV. Appendixes
- ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Title: Reality-Based Leadership: Ditch the Drama, Restore Sanity to the Workplace, and Turn Excuses into Results
- Release date: September 2010
- Publisher(s): Jossey-Bass
- ISBN: 9780470613504
You might also like
Act Like a Leader, Think Like a Leader
You aspire to lead with greater impact. Act Like a Leader, Think Like a Leader then …
Harvard Business Review on Advancing Your Career
If you need the best practices and ideas for achieving career growth and fulfillment--but don't have …
Leadership Blindspots: How Successful Leaders Identify and Overcome the Weaknesses That Matter
Good leaders become great by skillfully managing their own vulnerabilities Leadership Blindspots: How Successful Leaders Identify …
Leadership and Self-Deception, 3rd Edition
This third edition of an international bestseller—over 2 million copies sold worldwide and translated into 33 …