A hands on approach to learning ReasonML from the perspective of a web developer.
- Hands on learning by building a real world app shell that includes client-side routing and more.
- Understand Reason's ecosystem including BuckleScript and various npm workflows.
- Learn how Reason differs from TypeScript and Flow, and how to use it to make refactoring less stressful.
ReasonML, also known as Reason, is a new syntax and toolchain for OCaml that was created by Facebook and is meant to be approachable for web developers. Although OCaml has several resources, most of them are from the perspective of systems development. This book, alternatively, explores Reason from the perspective of web development.
You'll learn how to use Reason to build safer, simpler React applications and why you would want to do so. Reason supports immutability by default, which works quite well in the context of React.
We'll explore using CSS-in-Reason, how to use external JSON in Reason, and how to unit-test critical business logic. By the end of the book, you'll understand why Reason is exploding in popularity and will have a solid foundation on which to continue your journey with Reason.
What you will learn
- Learn why Reason is exploding in popularity and why it's the future of React
- Become familiar with Reason's syntax and semantics
- Learn how to build React applications with Reason
- Learn how to use Reason's type system as a tool to provide amazing guarantees
- Gain a solid foundation on which to continue your journey
Who this book is for
The target audience of this book is web developers who are somewhat familiar with ReactJS and who want to learn why ReasonML is the future of ReactJS.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright and Credits
- About Packt
Introduction to ReasonML
- What is ReasonML?
- Why Reason?
- Exploring Reason
- Setting Up a Development Environment
Creating ReasonReact Components
- Component creation basics
- Stateful components
- Navigation menu
- Client-side routing
BuckleScript, Belt, and Interoperability
- Module scope
- Data structures
- Pipe operators
- Using Belt
- Binding to existing ReactJS components
- Effective ML
- CSS-in-JS (in Reason)
JSON in Reason
- Building views
- Integrating with localStorage
- Using bs-json
- Using GraphQL
- Unit Testing in Reason
- Other Books You May Enjoy
- Title: ReasonML Quick Start Guide
- Release date: February 2019
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781789340785
You might also like
Even Faster Web Sites
Performance is critical to the success of any web site, and yet today's web applications push …
Ubuntu Unleashed 2015 Edition: Covering 14.10 and 15.04, Tenth Edition
The Publisher regrets that the CD/DVD content for this title cannot be made available Online. Ubuntu …
What's New in Software Architecture: Data Mesh and the AI Revolution with Zhamak Dehghani (Audio)
Join Neal Ford and Zhamak Dehghani for a discussion about the challenges of creating, sharing, and …
Ionic Cookbook - Third Edition
Solve all your Ionic-related issues through dedicated recipes that will help you get the best out …