Video description4+ Hours of Video Instruction
With more than 4 hours of video instruction, learn how to refactor effectively in the Python programming language, gain all the basics to begin improving and simplifying your software designs, and refactor mercilessly.
In Refactoring in Python LiveLessons, Bryan Beecham shows developers how to recognize problems in their code, how to make needed changes to create high- quality software that can be rapidly developed, and how to refactor effectively in the Python programming language.
Refactoring is at the core of software improvement, giving structure and purpose on how to make software better. Changes to the code make it easier to understand, easier to modify, and easier to add new code.
Although refactoring is not new, software developers might struggle with how to do it properly. As Agile grows, concepts such as DevOps push to have high-quality and welI-designed code to allow for faster deployment and feedback. Much of the existing documentation on refactoring is in Java. By creating these examples in Python, it provides more fitting help for the large and growing Python workforce.
- Beginner to Intermediate
Learn How To
- Improve and simplify your software designs
- Refactor effectively in Python programming language
- Refactor legacy code
- Start using TDD with an existing code base
- Begin pair or mob programming with a new Agile team
Who Should Take This Course
- Python software and other software developers looking to improve skills in Refactoring
- Managers interested in learning about refactoring and how to help their teams get started
- Familiarity with programming, preferably in Python
Lesson 1, Refactoring Fundamentals, reviews the basics of refactoring, where refactoring comes from, and the reasons for refactoring as well as when to stop. Learn how Technical Debt and Return on Investment (ROI) impact refactoring, the concept of refactoring without tests, the significance of source control systems, and what it means to refactor in a pythonic way.
Lesson 2, Recognizing Issues in Your Code, demonstrates finding problems in software. Locating these issues is the first step in refactoring your code. Review how comments can help or hurt, the overuse of conditionals, examples of confusing names, large code blocks, negative logic, too many parameters, multiple returns, how duplication can be harmful, the dangers of inconsistency, locating similar patterns, and examples of poor formatting.
Lesson 3, Common Refactoring Techniques, discusses the most common refactoring techniques that are used in the industry today. Learn the different types of refactoring that exist and the main refactoring techniques. Review examples for Rename, Move, Extract, and Inline refactoring techniques.
Lesson 4, Refactoring Examples, applies all the previous information, building four programs and applying refactoring knowledge to them. Learn how to locate problems in the software, determine which test to write next, and apply the appropriate refactoring.
Lesson 5, Inside Refactoring, first explores some academic concepts and ideas about refactoring. Then, it introduces the phases of Prepare, Improve, and Clean that exist when we refactor our software.
Lesson 6, The Benefits of Working with Others, reviews Pair Programming and the impact it has on refactoring. Learn about Mob Programming and the impact it has on teams.
Lesson 7, The Role of Testing in Refactoring, looks at the importance of creating tests for refactoring. Review how refactoring can improve testing and how refactoring works in a Test Driven Development (TDD) cycle.
About Pearson Video Training
Pearson publishes expert-led video tutorials covering a wide selection of technology topics designed to teach you the skills you need to succeed. These professional and personal technology videos feature world- leading author instructors published by your trusted technology brands: Addison-Wesley, Cisco Press, Pearson IT Certification, Prentice Hall, Sams, and Que Topics include: IT Certification, Network Security, Cisco Technology, Programming, Web Development, Mobile Development, and more. Learn more about Pearson Video training at http://www.informit.com/ video.
Table of contents
Lesson 1: Refactoring Fundamentals
- Learning objectives
- 1.1 Understand the concept of refactoring
- 1.2 Learn where refactoring comes from
- 1.3 Understand why we refactor
- 1.4 Learn when to stop refactoring
- 1.5 Understand technical debt
- 1.6 Learn how Return on Investment (ROI) impacts refactoring
- 1.7 Understand the risks of refactoring without tests
- 1.8 Learn the importance of saving your work
- 1.9 Refactor in a pythonic way
Lesson 2: Recognizing Issues in Your Code
- Learning objectives
- 2.1 Understand how comments can help and hurt you
- 2.2 Spot the over use of conditionals
- 2.3 Review examples of confusing names
- 2.4 Understand the dangers of large code blocks
- 2.5 Find negative logic in your code
- 2.6 Understand the dangers of using too many parameters
- 2.7 Understand why multiple returns can be a sign of issues
- 2.8 Understand how duplication can be harmful to your code
- 2.9 Understand the dangers of inconsistency
- 2.10 Find similar patterns
- 2.11 Find examples of poor formatting
- 2.12 Identify what a code smell is
- 2.13 Spot zombie code
- 2.14 Learn how to remove clutter, complexity, and cleverness
- Lesson 3: Common Refactoring Techniques
Lesson 4: Refactoring Examples
- Learning objectives
- 4.1 Apply refactoring through the use of programming katas
- 4.2 Build the program FizzBuzz
- 4.3 Build the Roman Numerals kata
- 4.4 Create a bowling game - Part1
- 4.5 Create a bowling game - Part2
- 4.6 Refactor the Gilded Rose program: Find the code smells
- 4.7 Refactor the Gilded Rose program: Create the test suite
- 4.8 Refactor the Gilded Rose program: Improve the code - Part1
- 4.9 Refactor the Gilded Rose program: Improve the code - Part2
- 4.10 Refactor the Gilded Rose program: Add new functionality
- Lesson 5: Inside Refactoring
- Lesson 6: The Benefits of Working with Others
- Lesson 7: The Role of Testing in Refactoring
- Title: Refactoring in Python LiveLessons: Improving Your Code Video Training
- Release date: November 2017
- Publisher(s): Addison-Wesley Professional
- ISBN: 0134864026
You might also like
Python Beyond The Basics - Object Oriented Programming
In this Python Beyond the Basics - Object-Oriented Programming training course, expert author David Blaikie will …
Modern Python LiveLessons: Big Ideas and Little Code in Python
Overview Modern Python LiveLessons: Big Ideas and Little Code in Python provides developers with an approach …
Python Survival Skills
6.5+ Hours of Video Instruction Take your Python skills to the next level! Overview helps you …
5+ Hours of Video Instruction Effective Python LiveLessons Video Training Description Effective Python LiveLessons Video Training …