Two Hours of Video Instruction
Many Java developers today are working on applications written before the release of Java SE 8. Even after Java 8 is adopted for new features, it’s likely that these legacy applications will not take full advantage of Java 8 without significant refactoring.
In Refactoring to Modern Java LiveLessons, Java Champion Trisha Gee discusses the benefits of using Java 8 and shows how to identify code to refactor. She also demonstrates how Java 8 can improve performance and the benefits of applying Java 8 idioms. In this video training, Trisha provides hands-on techniques using a real application, Morphia, written in Java 6, to show when and how to apply the new features in Java 8 to an existing mature code base.
Related Code Files:
The code for this training can be found at https://github.com/mongodb/morphia. To view the code after the refactoring has been completed, see this branch: https://github.com/trishagee/morphia/tree/r2j8.
About the Instructor
Trisha Gee has developed Java applications for a range of industries, including finance, manufacturing, technology, open source, and nonprofit, for companies of all sizes. She has expertise in Java high-performance systems and is passionate about enabling developer productivity. Trisha blogs regularly on subjects that she thinks developers and other humans should care about. She’s a leader of the Sevilla Java User Group, a key member of the London Java Community, and a Java Champion.
What You Will Learn
- Understand the benefits of refactoring to Java 8
- Determine what you need to have in place before refactoring
- Identify sections of code to refactor
- Refactor code automatically and through developer insight
- Measure performance of the code before and after refactoring
- Weigh the pros and cons of the changes to determine what to refactor
Java developers who are working on an existing system. From a technical point of view, this is suitable for junior and senior developers, but senior/lead developers and architects will find this talk useful to decide whether to apply these changes in their applications and to provide guidance to the rest of their teams.
Experience with the Java Programming language.
About LiveLessons Video Training
LiveLessons Video Training series publishes hundreds of hands-on, expert-led video tutorials covering a wide selection of technology topics designed to teach you the skills you need to succeed. This professional and personal technology video series features world-leading author instructors published by your trusted technology brands: Addison-Wesley, Cisco Press, IBM Press, Pearson IT Certification, Prentice Hall, Sams, and Que. Topics include: IT Certification, Programming, Web Development, Mobile Development, Home and Office Technologies, Business and Management, and more. View all LiveLessons on InformIT at http://www.informit.com/livelessons.
Table of contents
- Lesson 1: Getting Started—Why and How
- Lesson 2: Refactor Using the New Features
Lesson 3: Understanding Java 8 Performance
- 3.1 Performance of Anonymous Inner Classes versus Lambda Expressions 00:04:45
- 3.2 Performance of Lazy Methods 00:02:37
- 3.3 Performance of a For Loop versus the Stream API 00:16:36
- 3.4 Performance of Operations Performed in Serial and in Parallel 00:03:08
- 3.5 Performance of Optional Safety versus Comparing to Null 00:03:03
- Lesson 4: Pros and Cons
Summary: Should you modernize your code?
- Refactoring to Modern Java: Summary 00:02:00
- Title: Refactoring to Modern Java
- Release date: August 2016
- Publisher(s): Addison-Wesley Professional
- ISBN: 0134653610
You might also like
Design Patterns (Clean Coders Video Series)
Overview Get ready for something very different. This ain't no screen cast. This ain't no talkin' …
Clean Code Applied (Clean Coders Video Series): Building a Java Web Application with Software Craftsmanship
Duration 10+ Hours of Video Overview Get ready for something very different. This ain't no screen …
Algorithms: 24-part Lecture Series
Algorithms, Deluxe Edition, Fourth Edition These Algorithms Video Lectures cover the essential information that every serious …
Java 8 Lambdas and Streams
In this Java 8 Lambdas and Streams training course, expert author Madhusudhan Konda will teach you …