Everything changes after Release 1.0. The consultants leave; key developers get reassigned to new projects, and the wild and free environment of development gets replaced by change review boards and defect reports. And the public starts beating on the system. Your application needs to be ready to live in that environment--without you.
Out in the real world, your system may have to endure the huge traffic spikes of a Slashdot posting, or a sudden influx of international customers in the middle of the night, or enjoy such popularity that you can't even take it down for maintenance.
Other books on design and architecture only tell you how to meet functional requirements. They help your software pass Quality Assurance. But painful experience has shown that "feature complete" is not even close to"production ready."
With a combination of case studies and practical advice, Release It! will help you avoid the pitfalls that cost companies hundreds of thousand--sometimes millions--of dollars.
Table of contents
- For the Best Reading Experience...
- Table of Contents
- What readers are saying about Release It!
- Chapter 1: Introduction
Part 1: Stability
- Chapter 2: Case Study: The Exception That Grounded An Airline
- Chapter 3: Introducing Stability
- Chapter 4: Stability Antipatterns
- Chapter 5: Stability Patterns
- Chapter 6: Stability Summary
Part 2: Capacity
- Chapter 7: Case Study: Trampled by Your Own Customers
- Chapter 8: Introducing Capacity
- Chapter 9: Capacity Antipatterns
- Chapter 10: Capacity Patterns
Part 3: General Design Issues
- Chapter 11: Networking
- Chapter 12: Security
- Chapter 13: Availability
- Chapter 14: Administration
- Chapter 15: Design Summary
Part 4: Operations
- Chapter 16: Case Study: Phenomenal Cosmic Powers, Itty-Bitty Living Space
- Chapter 17: Transparency
- Chapter 18: Adaptation
- Title: Release It!
- Release date: March 2007
- Publisher(s): Pragmatic Bookshelf
- ISBN: 9780978739218
You might also like
Domain-Driven Design Distilled
Domain-Driven Design (DDD) software modeling delivers powerful results in practice, not just in theory, which is …
Expanded Edition (August 2018) Updated with Design Patterns episodes from the Clean Code series from Clean …
AWS Certified Solutions Architect Official Study Guide
Validate your AWS skills. This is your opportunity to take the next step in your career …
Effective Python: 90 Specific Ways to Write Better Python, 2nd Edition
Updated and Expanded for Python 3 It’s easy to start developing programs with Python, which is …