Building your first RESTful web service with JAX-RS
In the earlier sections, we discussed the commonly used annotations and APIs in JAX-RS that one may need to be aware of while building REST APIs with JAX-RS. It is now time for us to put all these theories into practice. In this section, we will build a simple yet complete end-to-end RESTful web service by using JAX-RS.
Setting up the environment
This example uses the following software and tools:
- Java SE Development Kit 8 or newer
- NetBeans IDE 8.0.2 (with Java EE bundle) or newer
- Glassfish Server 4.1 or newer
- Maven 3.2.3 or newer
- Oracle Database Express Edition 11g Release 2 or newer with HR sample database schema
- Oracle Database JDBC Driver (
Detailed instructions for procuring ...