Restlet in Action gets you started with the Restlet Framework and the REST architecture style. You'll create and deploy applications in record time while learning to use popular RESTful Web APIs effectively. This book looks at the many aspects of web development, on both the server and client side, along with cloud computing, mobile Android devices, and Semantic Web applications.
About the Technology
In a RESTful architecture any component can act, if needed, as both client and server — this is flexible and powerful, but tricky to implement. The Restlet project is a reference implementation with a Java-based API and everything you need to build servers and web clients that integrate with most web and enterprise technologies.
About the Book
Restlet in Actionintroduces the Restlet Framework and RESTful web APIs. You’ll see how to easily create and deploy your own web API while learning to consume other web APIs effectively. You’ll learn about designing, securing, versioning, documentation, optimizing, and more on both the server and client side, as well as about cloud computing, mobile Android devices, and Semantic Web applications.
The book requires a basic knowledge of Java and the web, but no prior exposure to REST or Restlet.
- Written by the creators of Restlet!
- How to create your own web API
- How to deploy on cloud and mobile platforms
- Focus on Android, Google App Engine, Google Web Toolkit, and OSGi technologies
About the Authors
Jerome Louvel is cofounder and CEO of Restlet Inc. and Restlet SAS, and the creator of the Restlet Framework. Thierry Templier is an R&D architect at Restlet SAS, and a core developer of the Restlet Framework. Thierry Boileau is cofounder of Restlet SAS, an open source community manager, and core developer of the Restlet Framework.
Table of Contents
- Brief Table of Contents
- Table of Contents
- About this Book
- About the Cover Illustration
- Part 1. Getting started
- Chapter 1. Introducing the Restlet Framework
- Chapter 2. Beginning a Restlet application
- Chapter 3. Deploying a Restlet application
- Part 2. Getting ready to roll out
- Chapter 4. Producing and consuming Restlet representations
- Chapter 5. Securing a Restlet application
- Chapter 6. Documenting and versioning a Restlet application
- Chapter 7. Enhancing a Restlet application with recipes and best practices
- Part 3. Further use possibilities
- Chapter 8. Using Restlet with cloud platforms
- Chapter 9. Using Restlet in browsers and mobile devices
- Chapter 10. Embracing hypermedia and the Semantic Web
- Chapter 11. The future of Restlet
- Appendix A. Overview of the Restlet Framework
- Appendix B. Installing the Restlet Framework
- Appendix C. Introducing the REST architecture style
- Appendix D. Designing a RESTful web API
- Appendix E. Mapping REST, HTTP, and the Restlet API
- Appendix F. Getting additional help
- Appendix. References
- List of Figures
- List of Tables
- List of Listings
- Title: Restlet in Action: Developing RESTful web APIs in Java
- Release date: October 2012
- Publisher(s): Manning Publications
- ISBN: 9781935182344