Invoicing Your Customers
In This Chapter
- Choosing an invoice type
- Setting up product and service invoices
- Printing, updating, and deleting invoices
- Getting familiar with time-saving features
You can generate invoices directly from your Sage accounting software, which means you can streamline your paperwork process by printing invoices quickly – and even directly from sales orders if you use Sage Accounts Professional. You end up with more time to make more money for your business – or more time to take a break from making money for your business.
Sage is an integrated system, so when you produce a sales invoice, the system automatically updates the nominal ledger and the customer account, along with products and projects if you use those options.
Deciding on an Invoice Type
Depending on the type of business you run, you probably issue mainly one of two types of invoice:
- Product invoices: Used for businesses that sell physical items – cards, widgets, and so on. A manufacturing company issues product invoices, using product codes.
- Service invoices: Used for businesses that don't sell tangible products but provide a service to their clients.
A business that sells physical products may need to generate a service invoice occasionally. For example, Manufacturers of Widgets might service some of the products they manufacture, and the engineer's time is charged using a service ...