Appendix A. Answers to Quizzes and Exercises
Hour 1: What Is TCP/IP?
1. A network protocol is a set of rules and data formats that enable communication between computers (or other devices) on the network.
2. End-node verification and dynamic routing are two features that contribute to TCP/IP’s decentralization.
3. DNS, the Domain Name Service, is responsible for mapping domain names to IP addresses.
4. An RFC, Request For Comment, is a document that describes an Internet standard or a report from one of the working groups that help run the Internet.
5. A port is a logical channel used to route data to the proper networking application.
Hour 2: How TCP/IP Works
1. The Data Link layer and the Physical layer.
2. The Internet layer.