Hour 22. Streaming and Casting
What You’ll Learn in This Hour:
• Streaming protocols
• Multimedia links
• Voice over IP
The Internet wasn’t created for playing music and watching old TV shows. New ideas and new protocols were necessary to usher in the era of Internet streaming. This hour looks at multimedia technologies for the Internet.
At the completion of this hour, you will be able to
• Describe RTP and its helper protocols
• Discuss the Transport layer alternatives SCTP and DCCP
• Describe how a multimedia file is played from a web link
• Explain what podcasting is and how it works
• Describe some important VoIP protocols
The Streaming Problem
With all those network connections, transmission media, video monitors, and PC speakers ...