What You’ll Learn in This Hour:
• Use Socket.IO with Express
• Add and maintain a list of nicknames
• Use callbacks with Socket.IO
• Send messages between connected users
• Create a fully featured chat server with Socket.IO
In Hour 12, “Introducing Socket.IO,” you were introduced to Socket.IO and how it can be used to send messages in real-time between the browser and the server. In this hour, you see a practical application of Socket.IO—a browser-based chat server. This is another excellent use case for Node.js!
The chat server has the following features:
• It allows users to set a nickname.
• It displays a list of connected users.
• It broadcasts chat messages to all connected users. ...