Covers iOS 6, Xcode 4.5+, iPhone, iPad, and More!
Figures and code appear as they do in Xcode 4.5+
In just 24 sessions of one hour each, learn how to build powerful applications for today’s hottest handheld devices: the iPhone and iPad! Using this book’s straightforward, step-by-step approach, you’ll master every skill and technology you need, from setting up your iOS development environment to building great responsive user interfaces, from sensing motion to writing multitasking applications. Each lesson builds on what you’ve already learned, giving you a rock-solid foundation for real-world success!
Step-by-step instructions carefully walk you through the most common iOS development tasks.
Activities at the end of each chapter help you test your knowledge.
Notes present interesting information related to the discussion.
Tips offer advice or show you easier ways to perform tasks.
Cautions alert you to possible problems and give you advice on how to avoid them.
• Printed in full color
• Covers iOS 6.0 and up
• Use the new Objective-C NSArray, NSDictionary, and NSNumber Data Type shortcuts introduced in Xcode 4.5.2
• Learn to navigate the Xcode 4.5+ development environment
• Prepare your system and iDevice for efficient development
• Get started quickly with Apple’s Objective-C and Cocoa Touch
• Understand the Model-View-Controller (MVC) development paradigm
• Visually design and code interfaces using Xcode storyboards, segues, exits, and the iOS Object Library
• Use Auto Layout to adapt to different screen sizes and orientations
• Build advanced UIs with tables, split views, navigation controllers, and more
• Read and write preferences and data, and create System Settings plug-ins
• Use the iOS media playback and recording capabilities
• Take photos and manipulate graphics with Core Image
• Sense motion, orientation, and location with the accelerometer, gyroscope, and GPS
• Integrate online services using Twitter, Facebook, Email, Web Views, and Apple Maps
• Create universal applications that run on both the iPhone and iPad
• Write background-aware multitasking applications
• Trace and debug your applications as they run
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Contents at a Glance
- Table of Contents
- About the Author
- We Want to Hear from You!
- Reader Services
- Hour 1. Preparing Your System and iDevice for Development
- Hour 2. Introduction to Xcode and the iOS Simulator
- Hour 3. Discovering Objective-C: The Language of Apple Platforms
- Hour 4. Inside Cocoa Touch
- Hour 5. Exploring Interface Builder
- Hour 6. Model-View-Controller Application Design
- Hour 7. Working with Text, Keyboards, and Buttons
- Hour 8. Handling Images, Animation, Sliders, and Steppers
- Hour 9. Using Advanced Interface Objects and Views
- Hour 10. Getting the User’s Attention
- Hour 11. Implementing Multiple Scenes and Popovers
- Hour 12. Making Choices with Toolbars and Pickers
- Hour 13. Advanced Storyboards Using Navigation and Tab Bar Controllers
- Hour 14. Navigating Information Using Table Views and Split View Controllers
- Hour 15. Reading and Writing Application Data
- Hour 16. Building Responsive User Interfaces
- Hour 17. Using Advanced Touches and Gestures
- Hour 18. Sensing Orientation and Motion
- Hour 19. Working with Rich Media
- Hour 20. Interacting with Other Applications
- Hour 21. Implementing Location Services
- Hour 22. Building Background-Aware Applications
- Hour 23. Building Universal Applications
- Hour 24. Application Tracing and Debugging
- Ad Pages
- Title: Sams Teach Yourself iOS 6 Application Development in 24 Hours, Fourth Edition
- Release date: January 2013
- Publisher(s): Sams
- ISBN: 9780133361773