Appendix AQuiz and Exercise Questions and Answers
Hour 1, “Getting Started”
1. Can a computer understand English? What about an English-based language, such as COBOL?
2. What must be done to a COBOL program for the computer to understand and execute the instructions in the program?
3. Who defines COBOL?
4. Who was Admiral Grace Hopper, and why was she important to COBOL?
1. No, not directly. High-level languages like COBOL must be translated into machine language before the computer can understand them. Performing the translation is the job of the compiler.
2. It must be compiled.
3. The ANSI COBOL standards committee determines the formal definition of COBOL.
4. Grace Hopper considered herself the mother of COBOL. ...