SAP HANA on IBM® POWER® is an established HANA solution with which customers can run HANA-based analytic and business applications on a flexible IBM Power based infrastructure. IT assets, such as servers, storage, and skills and operation procedures, can easily be used and reused instead of enforcing more investment into dedicated SAP HANA only appliances.
In this scenario, IBM Spectrum™ Scale as the underlying block storage and files system adds further benefits to this solution stack to take advantage of scale effects, higher availability, simplification, and performance.
With the IBM Elastic Storage™ Server (ESS) based on IBM Spectrum Scale™, RAID capabilities are added to the file system. By using the intelligent internal logic of the IBM Spectrum Scale RAID code, reasonable performance and significant disk failure recovery improvements are achieved.
This IBM Redpaper™ publication focuses on the benefits and advantages of implementing a HANA solution on top of IBM Spectrum Scale storage file system.
This paper is intended to help experienced administrators and IT specialists to plan and set up an IBM Spectrum Scale cluster and configure an ESS for SAP HANA workloads. It provides important tips and bestpreferred practices about how to manage IBM Spectrum Scale''s availability and performance.
If you are familiar with ESS, IBM Spectrum Scale, and IBM Spectrum Scale RAID, and you need only the pertinent documentation about how to configure a IBM Spectrum Scale cluster with an ESS for SAP HANA, see Chapter 5, "IBM Spectrum Scale customization for HANA" on page 25.
Before reading this IBM Redpaper publication, you should be familiar with the basic concepts of IBM Spectrum Scale and IBM Spectrum Scale RAID.
This IBM Redpaper publication can be helpful for architects and specialists who are planning an SAP HANA on POWER deployment with the IBM Spectrum Scale file system. For more information about planning considerations for Power, see the SAP HANA on Power Planning Guide.
Table of contents
- Front cover
- Summary of changes
- Chapter 1. Introduction to SAP HANA and IBM Elastic Storage Server
- Chapter 2. Cluster networking
Chapter 3. Understanding IBM Spectrum Scale RAID components
- 3.1 Recovery Group
- 3.2 RAID Code, VDisk, and declustered array
- 3.3 IBM Spectrum Scale RAID: Fast writes (NVR)
- 3.4 IBM Spectrum Scale RAID: Hot spare and disk failures
- Chapter 4. IBM Spectrum Scale adjustments
- Chapter 5. IBM Spectrum Scale customization for HANA
- Chapter 6. Summary
- Appendix A. Sample configuration for bonding on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
- Appendix B. Loghome configuration of an ESS building block
- Appendix C. Calculating maximum capacity of a DA
- Appendix D. Example of file system setup and HANA installation
- Appendix E. Side aware configuration examples
- Related publications
- Back cover
- Title: SAP HANA and ESS: A Winning Combination
- Release date: August 2018
- Publisher(s): IBM Redbooks
- ISBN: 9780738456973
You might also like
SAP in 24 Hours, Sams Teach Yourself, Fifth Edition
Thoroughly updated and expanded! Includes new coverage on HANA, the cloud, and using SAP’s applications! In …
Software Development on the SAP HANA Platform
Written by a SAP HANA expert, this book takes you from installation to running your own …
SAP Query Reporting
SAP Query Reporting Understand query security, table reads, and table joins Perform basic and advanced calculations …
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …