This IBM® Redpaper Redbooks publication provides guidance about a backup and recovery solution for SAP High-performance Analytic Appliance (HANA) running on IBM Power Systems. This publication provides case studies and how-to procedures that show backup and recovery scenarios.
This publication provides information about how to protect data in an SAP HANA environment by using IBM Spectrum® Protect and IBM Spectrum Copy Data Manager. This publication focuses on the data protection solution, which is described through several scenarios.
The information in this publication is distributed on an as-is basis without any warranty that is either expressed or implied. Support assistance for the use of this material is limited to situations where IBM Spectrum Scale or IBM Spectrum Protect are supported and entitled, and where the issues are specific to a blueprint implementation.
The goal of the publication is to describe the best aspects and options for backup, snapshots, and restore of SAP HANA Multitenant Database Container (MDC) single and multi-tenant installations on IBM Power Systems by using theoretical knowledge, hands-on exercises, and documenting the findings through sample scenarios.
This document provides resources about the following processes:
Describing how to determine the best option, including SAP Landscape aspects to back up, snapshot, and restore of SAP HANA MDC single and multi-tenant installations based on IBM Spectrum Computing Suite, Red Hat Linux Relax and Recover (ReAR), and other products.
Documenting key aspects, such as recovery time objective (RTO) and recovery point objective (RPO), backup impact (load, duration, scheduling), quantitative savings (for example, data deduplication), integration and catalog currency, and tips and tricks that are not covered in the product documentation.
Using IBM Cloud® Object Storage and documenting how to use IBM Spectrum Protect to back up to the cloud. SAP HANA 2.0 SPS 05 has this feature that is built in natively. IBM Spectrum Protect for Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) has this feature too.
Documenting Linux ReaR to cover operating system (OS) backup because ReAR is used by most backup products, such as IBM Spectrum Protect and Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) to back up OSs.
This publication targets technical readers including IT specialists, systems architects, brand specialists, sales teams, and anyone looking for a guide about how to implement the best options for SAP HANA backup and recovery on IBM Power Systems. Moreover, this publication provides documentation to transfer the how-to-skills to the technical teams and solution guidance to the sales team. This publication complements the documentation that is available at IBM Knowledge Center, and it aligns with the educational materials that are provided by IBM Garage™ for Systems Technical Education and Training.
Table of contents
- Front cover
- Chapter 1. Introduction
Chapter 2. Architecture decision aspects
- 2.1 SAP HANA architecture
- 2.2 Requirements for a data protection solution for SAP HANA
- 2.3 IBM Spectrum Protect architecture
- 2.4 Protecting an SAP HANA database with IBM Spectrum Copy Data Management
- 2.5 Retention policies and placement of backup copies
- 2.6 Cyber resiliency aspects of an SAP HANA solution
- 2.7 Other tools to use for backup and recovery of SAP HANA
Chapter 3. Planning and sizing
- 3.1.1 Selecting the backup method for the SAP HANA databases
- 3.1.2 Online SAP HANA database backup by using Backint
- 3.1.3 Online SAP HANA database snapshot
- 3.1.4 Protecting other SAP HANA environment components
- 3.1.5 Backup and recovery objectives
- 3.1.6 Infrastructure considerations
- 3.1.7 Backing up to an IBM Spectrum Protect container pool with inline deduplication and compression
- 3.1.8 Planning for restore
- 3.2 Sizing for backup and restore with Backint
- 3.3 Sizing for snapshot
- 3.4 Sizing for growth
- 3.1 Planning
Chapter 4. Installation and deployment
- 4.1 Prerequisites
- 4.2 IBM Spectrum Protect server configuration
- 4.3 Installing and configuring the IBM Spectrum Protect Backup-Archive client application programming interface
- 4.4 Installing and configuring Data Protection for SAP HANA
- 4.5 More considerations
Chapter 5. Backup, restore, and recovery scenarios for SAP HANA
- 5.1 The backup environment
- 5.2 SAP HANA backup
5.3 Restoring and recovering an SAP HANA database
- 5.3.1 Verifying an SAP HANA database backup
- 5.3.2 Recovering the SAP HANA database by using IBM Spectrum Protect
- 5.3.3 Recovering an SAP HANA database from IBM Spectrum Protect without a backup catalog
- 5.3.4 Copying an SAP HANA database by using backup and restore with IBM Spectrum Protect
- 5.3.5 Restoring SAP HANA database snapshot backups by using IBM Spectrum Copy Data Management
- 5.3.6 Snapshot backup recovery by using IBM Spectrum Copy Data Management with log recovery from IBM Spectrum Protect
- Appendix A. Scheduling an SAP HANA backup by using IBM Spectrum Protect
- Appendix B. Configuring IBM Spectrum Protect with IBM Cloud Object Storage
- Appendix C. Additional material
- Related publications
- Back cover
- Title: SAP HANA on IBM Power Systems Backup and Recovery Solutions
- Release date: May 2021
- Publisher(s): IBM Redbooks
- ISBN: 9780738459691
You might also like
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …
Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
Even bad code can function. But if code isn't clean, it can bring a development organization …
Building Microservices, 2nd Edition
Distributed systems have become more fine-grained as organizations shift from code-heavy monolithic applications to smaller, self-contained …
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …