Groovy and Beyond: Leverage the Full Power of Scripting on the JavaTM Platform!
Using the JavaTM platform’s new scripting support, you can improve efficiency, streamline your development processes, and solve problems ranging from prototyping to Web application programming. In Scripting in Java, Dejan Bosanac covers key aspects of scripting with Java, from the exciting new Groovy scripting language to Java’s new Scripting and Web Scripting APIs.
Bosanac begins by reviewing the role and value of scripting languages, and then systematically introduces today’s best scripting solutions for the Java platform. He introduces Java scripting frameworks, identifies proven patterns for integrating scripting into Java applications, and presents practical techniques for everything from unit testing to project builds. He supports key concepts with extensive code examples that demonstrate scripting at work in real-world Java projects. Coverage includes
· Why scripting languages offer surprising value to Java programmers
· Groovy in depth: installation, configuration, Java-like syntax, Java integration, security, and more
· Groovy extensions: accessing databases, working with XML, and building simple Web applications and Swing-based UIs
· Bean Scripting Framework: implementation, basic abstractions, and usage examples
· Traditional and new patterns for Java-based scripting
· JSR 223 Scripting API: language bindings, discovery mechanisms, threading, pluggable namespaces, and more
· JSR 223 Web Scripting Framework: scripting the generation of Web content within servlet containers
About the Web Site
All code examples are available for download at this book’s companion Web site.