Secure coding with C is a top concern. Although the C programming language, which is commonly used in numerous applications and operating systems is popular, flexible, and versatile, it is inherently vulnerable to exploitation.
Writing a secure code is crucial. Because there is no direct method to handle the exception (no in-built try and catch such as in another high-level language like C#) in the C language, it becomes the responsibility of the C developer to become extra vigilant while writing code. This course begins with a detailed explanation of the overall security of any C application. Further, it provides insights on how to write better C code, particularly a secure code that prevents pitfalls commonly encountered in the C language.
This course shows you how to avoid vulnerabilities and security flaws resulting from the incorrect use of dynamic memory management functions. You will understand how to eliminate integer-related problems resulting from signed integer overflows, unsigned integer wrapping, and truncation errors.
Table of contents
- Chapter 1: Introduction to C
- Chapter 2: Preventing Buffer Overflows, Stack-Smashing, and Return-Oriented Programming Attacks
- Chapter 3: Correctly Using Formatted Output Functions Without Introducing Format-String Vulnerabilities
- Chapter 4: Securely Using Different Variable Types
- Chapter 5: Understanding Issues with Pointers
- Chapter 6: Performing Secure I/O and Avoiding File System Vulnerabilities
- Title: Secure Programming with C
- Release date: October 2020
- Publisher(s): EC-Council
- ISBN: None
You might also like
Error Correction Coding, 2nd Edition
Providing in-depth treatment of error correction Error Correction Coding: Mathematical Methods and Algorithms, 2nd Edition provides …
Practical System Programming with C: Pragmatic Example Applications in Linux and Unix-Based Operating Systems
This book teaches system programming with the latest versions of C through a set of practical …
Navigating the Gig Economy: A Guide for Entrepreneurs and Professionals
This video explains what a gig economy is, why working online is good for the seller, …
The Objective-C programming language continues to grow in popularity and usage because of the power and …