Using tactics and tools to make your case
Web developers who propose performance enhancements often hear the same tune from management: performance is too much work, takes too long, costs too much, requires too much technical change, and pales in comparison to feature development. If you’re one of these developers, don’t give up. Help is out there.
This unique video collection from recent O’Reilly Velocity conferences provides you with a solid set of tactics and tools. They’ll help you convince the people you work with (or for) that performance is not only important, it’s also necessary. If you’re well-versed in the fundamentals of web performance, you’ll learn how to make a good case for speeding up your site.
This video collection includes:
- A Public Commitment to Performance
Seth Walker (Etsy)
Learn how Etsy holds itself accountable for web performance, and how your organization can do the same.
- Is The Web Getting Faster?
Arvind Jain (Google)
Browsers, devices, and networks are all faster, but has that translated into a better user experience? Learn what the user measurement data reveals.
- Lightning Demo: WebPagetest
Patrick Meenan (Google)
Watch this demonstration to learn how WebPagetest’s latest comparison features work.
- Making Performance Personal at FT Labs
Andrew Betts (FT Labs)
How can you work on performance when you’re busy delivering app features? Discover how FT Labs pitched and prioritized performance.
- Using Google Sitespeed and PageSpeed Products to Debug, Improve, Measure, and Iterate
Matt Atterbury (Google) and Mustafa Tikir (Google)
Measure your web page speed and apply Page Speed rules and best practices to your sites automatically.
- Benchmarking the Front End: Expanding What Performance Means and How to Track It
Emily Nakashima (GitHub) and Rachel Myers (GitHub)
Use metrics to find out how app functionality in the browser affects user experience.
Table of Contents
Selling Performance in Your Organization
- Introduction 00:00:45
- A Public Commitment to Performance - Seth Walker 00:33:38
- Is The Web Getting Faster? - Arvind Jain 00:10:06
- Lightning Demo: WebPageTest - Patrick Meenan 00:06:39
- Making Performance Personal - Andrew Betts 00:10:31
- Using Google Sitespeed and PageSpeed Products to Debug, Improve, Measure, and Iterate - Matt Atterbury and Mustafa Tikir 00:38:19
- Benchmarking the Front End: Expanding What Performance Means and How to Track it - Emily Nakashima and Rachel Myers 00:38:49
- Title: Selling Performance in Your Organization
- Release date: June 2014
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491902974