Serverless technology offers an attractive proposition: it frees us from much of the administration work we've worried about in the past, giving us more time to focus on building great software. But there's a lot of hype around the technology too. In this video series, microservices expert Sam Newman explains what serverless is, dives into the details of the features it provides, highlights its challenges, and shares his insights on how to get the best out of it. You'll come away with a concrete understanding of how to use serverless technology to implement microservice architecture and how to best integrate serverless into your existing applications.
- Understand what serverless means, the concepts that make it valuable, and its use cases
- Discover the different types of serverless products and how they're used
- Learn about function as a service, backend as a service, and messaging and storage platforms
- Explore challenges that come with BAAS and FAAS (e.g., vendor lock-in, performance, and security)
- See how concepts from microservices map onto a serverless world
After spending time at multiple startups and 12 years at ThoughtWorks, Sam Newman is now an independent consultant. Specializing in microservices, cloud, and continuous delivery, Sam helps clients around the world deliver software faster and more reliably. An in-demand speaker at O'Reilly Media's Software Architecture and Security conferences, Sam is the author of multiple O'Reilly Media titles, including Building Microservices and Microservices at Scale.
Table of contents
- What Is Serverless?
- What Are the Key Benefits of Serverless?
- A Brief Overview of Function as a Service (FaaS)
- FaaS Use Cases
- Fundamentals of Backend as a Service (BaaS)
- What Are Microservices?
- Problems with "Traditional" Microservices
- BaaS For Microservices
- Functions, Aggregates, and Data
- Migrating Microservices to Serverless
- Serverless Concerns: Vendor Lock-In
- Serverless Concerns: Security
- Serverless Concerns: Local Execution
- Serverless Concerns: Troubleshooting
- Serverless Concerns: Frameworks!
- Serverless Concerns: Performance
- Serverless Concerns: Resiliency
- Title: Serverless Fundamentals for Microservices: An Introduction to Core Concepts and Best Practices
- Release date: April 2018
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781492038993
You might also like
Distributed Systems in One Lesson
Simple tasks like running a program or storing and retrieving data become much more complicated when …
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
Software developers and architects increasingly turn to microservices as a framework for improving the agility and …