Building modern distributed applications consisting of many independent, interconnected components puts a real stress on the software development lifecycle. Just ask anyone involved in software testing. To ensure the quality of this new generation of applications, test environments have to be available and ready to go at all times. The real challenge, however, is getting all of the application’s components and dependencies in place at once.
In this report, author and veteran tester Bas Dijkstra examines service virtualization, a technique for modeling "virtual assets" that emulate the behavior of unavailable or hard-to-access dependencies, rather than simulate entire systems. You’ll learn exactly what service virtualization is and how it compares to other simulation techniques, such as stubbing and mocking.
- Understand the benefits and potential tradeoffs of applying service virtualization
- Learn why developing and implementing virtual assets should be treated as software development
- Examine the role of service virtualization plays in bi-modal IT and in the Continuous Delivery process
- Explore how service virtualization works with Agile software development, the IoT, the API economy, and cloud platforms
Bas Dijkstra has ten years of experience as a test automation and service virtualization consultant, and has successfully designed and implemented test automation and service virtualization solutions for clients in a multitude of sectors. He’s also an experienced teacher, writer, and speaker on several topics related to both test automation and service virtualization.
Table of contents
- Introduction and Reading Guide
- 1. An Introduction to Service Virtualization
- 2. Service Virtualization Implementation
- 3. Service Virtualization in a Bimodal IT World
- 4. Service Virtualization and Continuous Delivery
- 5. The Role of Service Virtualization in Current IT Trends
- A. Service Virtualization Case Studies
- Title: Service Virtualization
- Release date: January 2017
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491970720
You might also like
Service Virtualization: Reality Is Overrated
Software drives innovation and success in today's business world. Yet critical software projects consistently come in …
IBM Power Systems Virtual Server Guide for IBM i
This IBM® Redbooks® publication delivers a how-to usage content perspective that describes deployment, networking, and data …
Windows 10 Troubleshooting
Learn how to troubleshoot Windows 10 the way the experts do, whatever device or form-factor you're …
Windows 10: The Missing Manual, 2nd Edition
Windows 10 hit the scene in 2015 with an all-new web browser (Edge), the Cortana voice …