Ship It! helps teams get software out the door. Here you'll find a wealth of solid, practical advice in an easy, approachable format. You can fix many of the common problems facing software projects today with this concise introduction: you'll see the tools a successful team has to use, and learn how to use them well. You'll get quick, easy-to-follow advice on modern techniques and when they should be applied. Your team will be able to Ship It!
Table of Contents
- For the Best Reading Experience...
- Table of Contents
- What readers are saying about Ship It!
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- Chapter 2: Tools and Infrastructure
- Chapter 3: Pragmatic Project Techniques
- Chapter 4: Tracer Bullet Development
Chapter 5: Common Problems and How to Fix Them
- 16 Help! I’ve Inherited Legacy Code
- 17 Testing Untestable Code
- 18 Features Keep Breaking
- 19 Tests? We Stopped Using Them
- 20 But It Works for Me!
- 21 It Hurts When I Integrate Code
- 22 Can’t Build the Product Reliably
- 23 Customers Are Unhappy
- 24 You’ve Got a Rogue Developer
- 25 Your Manager Is Unhappy
- 26 Team Doesn’t Work Well Together
- 27 Can’t Get “Buy-in” on Essential Points
- 28 The New Practice Didn’t Help
- 29 There’s No Automated Testing
- 30 We’re Junior Developers, With No Mentor
- 31 We’re on a “Death March” Project
- 32 Features Keep Creeping In
- 33 We’re Never Done
- Appendix 1: Tip Summary
- Appendix 2: Source Code Management
- Appendix 3: Build Scripting Tools
- Appendix 4: Continuous Integration Systems
- Appendix 5: Issue Tracking Software
- Appendix 6: Development Methodologies
- Appendix 7: Testing Frameworks
- Appendix 8: Suggested Reading List
- Title: Ship it!
- Release date: June 2005
- Publisher(s): Pragmatic Bookshelf
- ISBN: 9780974514048