Before putting digital systems for information technology or telecommunication applications on the market, an essential requirement is to perform tests in order to comply with the limits of radiated emission imposed by the standards.
This book provides an investigation into signal integrity (SI) and electromagnetic interference (EMI) problems. Topics such as reflections, crosstalk, switching noise and radiated emission (RE) in high-speed digital systems are covered, which are essential for IT and telecoms applications. The highly important topic of modelling is covered which can reduce costs by enabling simulation data to demonstrate that a product meets design specifications and regulatory limits. According to the new European EMC directive, this can help to avoid the expensive use of large semi-anechoic chambers or open area test sites for radiated emission assessments. Following a short introduction to signalling and radiated interference in digital systems, the book provides a detailed characterization of logic families in terms of static and dynamic characteristic useful for modelling techniques. Crosstalk in multi-coupled line structures are investigated by analytical, graphical and circuit-based methods, and techniques to mitigate these phenomena are provided. Grounding, filtering and shielding with multilayer PCBs are also examined and design rules given.
Written by authors with extensive experience in industry and academia.
Explains basic conceptual problems from a theoretical and practical point of view by using numerous measurements and simulations.
Presents models for mathematical and SPICE-like circuit simulators.
Provides examples of using full-wave codes for SI and RE investigations.
Companion website containing lists of codes and sample material.
Signal Integrity and Radiated Emission of High-Speed Digital Systems is a valuable resource to industrial designers of information technology, telecommunication equipment and automation equipment as well as to development engineers. It will also be of interest to managers and designers of consumer electronics, and researchers in electronics.
Table of contents
- Cover Page
- Title Page
- List of Examples
- Chapter 1: Introduction to Signal Integrity and Radiated Emission in a Digital System
- Chapter 2: High-Speed Digital Devices
- Chapter 3: Inductance
- Chapter 4: Capacitance
- Chapter 5: Reflection on Signal Lines
- Chapter 6: Crosstalk
- Chapter 7: Lossy Transmission Lines
- Chapter 8: Delta I-Noise
Chapter 9: PCB Radiated Emission
- 9.1 Frequency Characterization of a Digital Signal
- 9.2 The Radiated Emission Problem
- 9.3 Emission from Traces
- 9.4 Emission from ICs
- 9.5 Emission from a Real PCB
- 9.6 Emission from a PCB with an Attached Cable
- 9.7 Differential Drivers as Sources of Emission
- 9.8 Emission from a Complex System
- 9.9 Radiation Diagrams
- 9.10 Points to Remember and Design Rules for Radiated Emission
- Chapter 10: Grounding in PCBs
- Chapter 11: Measurement and Modeling
- Chapter 12: Differential Signaling and Discontinuity Modeling in PCBs
- Appendix A: Formulae for Partial Inductance Calculation
- Appendix B: Characteristic Impedance, Delay Time, and Attenuation of Microstrips and Striplines
- Appendix C: Computation of Resonances in the Power Distribution Network of a PCB
- Appendix D: Formulae for Simple Radiating Structures
- Appendix E: The Nodal Method to Calculate the Partial Inductance of Finite Ground Planes
- Appendix F: Files on the Web
- Title: Signal Integrity and Radiated Emission of High-Speed Digital Systems
- Release date: December 2008
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780470511664
You might also like
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …
Transmission Lines in Digital Systems for EMC Practitioners
This is a brief but comprehensive book covering the set of EMC skills that EMC practitioners …
EMC for Product Designers, 4th Edition
Widely regarded as the standard text on EMC, Tim Williams’ book provides all the key information …
Python Crash Course, 2nd Edition
This is the second edition of the best selling Python book in the world. Python Crash …