• Creating a supportive climate
• Encouraging group involvement and ownership
• Monitoring group dynamics
• Member relationship roles
• Identifying and handling dysfunctional behaviors
• Facilitator preferences
Relationships/climate and task are the two primary components of group work. Communication skills are essential for accomplishing both. Every group has task and relationship issues; the trick is finding the balance for each group. Relation ships and climate are both of critical importance in social support groups. People won’t return to such groups if they don’t feel comfortable. Even in the most task-centered business group, however, relationship and climate issues are important. In this chapter, I talk about ...