The power industry is undergoing an significant transformation toward smart energy. Internet-connected smart devices to regulate and save energy are certainly part of the picture, but as this comprehensive O’Reilly report explains, the key piece is the emergence of reliable energy-storage solutions. Today, people can outfit their homes, factories, and offices with rechargeable lithium-ion batteries from Tesla and other companies to store energy from any power source.
Author Darren Beck describes how energy storage changes the game for renewable energy, which up until now has been a niche player because of its intermittent supply. Homeowners and businesses will be able to produce their own clean energy and share it on the grid. It’s the beginning, Beck says, of decentralized energy production that can not only reduce the use of fossil fuels—drastically—but also set up a vast network of distributed storage. And it’s coming sooner rather than later.
Download this report to learn:
- Why Tesla has spurred interest in energy storage—and why the company open-sourced its patents for the technology
- What a network of distributed storage will look like
- How smart meters can track energy demand across the grid in real time
- How peer-to-peer business models can be used in a sharing economy for energy
- Why owners of multi-tenant properties can set up micro virtual utilities
- How consumers can store electricity when the cleanest energy choices come online
Darren Beck has more 25 years of combined experience in business development, strategy, technology, and sustainability. In addition to writing about green practices in IoT for O’Reilly Media, Darren serves as Director of Environmental Initiatives for Sprint, and is as an Advisory Board Member for DaVinci Global, an organization designed to be the world’s leading source of insights into nature-inspired design for innovation, business, and finance.
Table of contents
- 1. Smart Energy Solution
- 2. Energy Storage: It’s About Time
- 3. Enter Tesla
- 4. Looking Ahead
- Title: Smart Energy
- Release date: October 2015
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491939451
You might also like
Certified Blockchain Developer--Hyperledger Fabric (CBDH)
7+ Hours of Video Instruction Overview More than 7 hours of video instruction to prepare you …
Learn Electronics with Raspberry Pi: Physical Computing with Circuits, Sensors, Outputs, and Projects
Updated for the recent Raspberry Pi boards, including the Raspberry Pi 4, this new edition offers …
Mastering Python Networking
Become an expert in implementing advanced, network-related tasks with Python. About This Book Build the skills …
Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow, 2nd Edition
Through a series of recent breakthroughs, deep learning has boosted the entire field of machine learning. …