SOA Governance in Action is a hands-on guide for developers and technology leads who need to develop and implement policies for SOA projects. This book introduces the fundamentals of good governance, the best practices for implementing them, and how to support governance using various open source tools. You'll follow an extensive case study that addresses the areas of service design, security, testing, and performance.
About the Technology
Governance is a serious word for a simple idea—defining processes, roles, and expectations for a software project. It's especially important in SOA where you have multiple stakeholders, competing requirements, and complex integration tasks. Good SOA governance blends established best practices, strong management and monitoring tools, and the flexibility to embrace new technologies and patterns.
About the Book
SOA Governance in Action shows developers how to apply governance concepts and implementation practices to achieve success in SOA projects. You'll learn practical techniques like building a metadata repository using WSO2 Registry or a custom monitoring dashboard using Bamos BAM. You'll also explore other supporting tools, such as using OpenAM, to implement security related policies. Along the way, you'll explore the nuances of writing policies that work for the project and click with your corporate culture.
Written for business application developers. Familiarity with Java and BPMN is helpful but not required.
Service design, security, testing, and performance
Self documenting services, auditing, and running in a cloud
Supporting best practices with open source tools
Examples using both REST and WS-*
About the Author
Jos Dirksen is a software architect with extensive experience applying open source tools to integration and governance challenges. He is coauthor of Open Source ESBs in Action.
Table of Contents
- Brief Table of Contents
- Table of Contents
- About this Book
- About the Cover Illustration
- Part 1. Introduction
- Chapter 1. Introducing SOA governance
- Chapter 2. Setting up the SOA governance environment
- Chapter 3. Using a case study to understand SOA governance
- Part 2. Design-time policies
- Chapter 4. Service design and documentation policies
- Chapter 5. Security policies
- Chapter 6. Testing, performance, and the cloud
- Part 3. Runtime policies
- Chapter 7. Using tools for runtime governance
- Chapter 8. Lifecycle support and discovering resources
- Chapter 9. Integrating SOA governance tools with existing tools and technologies
- Appendix. Installing tools, libraries, and frameworks
- List of Figures
- List of Tables
- List of Listings
- Title: SOA Governance in Action: REST and Web Service Architectures
- Release date: July 2012
- Publisher(s): Manning Publications
- ISBN: 9781617290275