Does your startup rely on social network analysis? This concise guide provides a statistical framework to help you identify social processes hidden among the tons of data now available.
Social network analysis (SNA) is a discipline that predates Facebook and Twitter by 30 years. Through expert SNA researchers, you'll learn concepts and techniques for recognizing patterns in social media, political groups, companies, cultural trends, and interpersonal networks. You'll also learn how to use Python and other open source tools—such as NetworkX, NumPy, and Matplotlib—to gather, analyze, and visualize social data. This book is the perfect marriage between social network theory and practice, and a valuable source of insight and ideas.
- Discover how internal social networks affect a company’s ability to perform
- Follow terrorists and revolutionaries through the 1998 Khobar Towers bombing, the 9/11 attacks, and the Egyptian uprising
- Learn how a single special-interest group can control the outcome of a national election
- Examine relationships between companies through investment networks and shared boards of directors
- Delve into the anatomy of cultural fads and trends—offline phenomena often mediated by Twitter and Facebook
Table of contents
- A Note Regarding Supplemental Files
- Analyzing Relationships to Understand People and Groups
- From Relationships to Networks—More Than Meets the Eye
- Social Networks vs. Link Analysis
- The Power of Informal Networks
- Terrorists and Revolutionaries: The Power of Social Networks
2. Graph Theory—A Quick Introduction
- What Is a Graph?
- Graph Traversals and Distances
- Graph Distance
- Why This Matters
- 6 Degrees of Separation is a Myth!
- Small World Networks
3. Centrality, Power, and Bottlenecks
- Sample Data: The Russians are Coming!
- Who Is More Important in this Network?
- Find the “Celebrities”
- Find the Gossipmongers
- Find the Communication Bottlenecks and/or Community Bridges
- Putting It Together
- Who Is a “Gray Cardinal?”
- Klout Score
- PageRank—How Google Measures Centrality
- What Can’t Centrality Metrics Tell Us?
4. Cliques, Clusters and Components
- Components and Subgraphs
- Subgraphs—Ego Networks
- Hierarchical Clustering
- Triads, Network Density, and Conflict
- 5. 2-Mode Networks
6. Going Viral! Information Diffusion
- Anatomy of a Viral Video
- How Does Information Shape Networks (and Vice Versa)?
- A Simple Dynamic Model in Python
- Coevolution of Networks and Information
7. Graph Data in the Real World
- Medium Data: The Tradition
- Big Data: The Future, Starting Today
- “Small Data”—Flat File Representations
- “Medium Data”: Database Representation
- Working with 2-Mode Data
- Social Networks and Big Data
- Big Data at Work
- A. Data Collection
- B. Installing Software
- About the Authors
- Title: Social Network Analysis for Startups
- Release date: September 2011
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781449306465
You might also like
AWS Certified Solutions Architect Official Study Guide
Validate your AWS skills. This is your opportunity to take the next step in your career …
Python Social Media Analytics
Leverage the power of Python to collect, process, and mine deep insights from social media data …
Grokking Algorithms is a friendly take on this core computer science topic. In it, you'll learn …
Effective Python: 90 Specific Ways to Write Better Python, 2nd Edition
Updated and Expanded for Python 3 It’s easy to start developing programs with Python, which is …