The benchmark book on to the effects and implications of social media on our daily lives, and how businesses can harness its power
Socialnomics is an essential book for anyone who wants to understand the implications of social media on our daily lives and how businesses can tap the power of social media to increase their sales, cut their marketing costs, and reach consumers directly. In this revised and updated second edition, author Erik Qualman presents new material based on meeting with 75 Fortune 1000 companies, 50 colleges and universities, and over 100 small businesses & non-profits since the first edition. Qualman's materials have been used from IBM to NASA to Harvard to local businesses.
Lists the top ten easy opportunities that companies and organization miss when it comes to social media
Describes where social media should reside in an organization and the necessary building blocks for success
Explains why over 50 percent of companies still block social media to their employees and why this is a detriment to success
Shares proper training methods for your ENTIRE organization on social media; not just the chosen few
Reviews the top companies, organizations and individuals using social media, explaining what separates them from other companies and how to replicate their success
Social media can transform your business and your relationship with consumers. Discover what social media can do for you, and what you can do for others while using social media.
Table of contents
- Praise for Socialnomics
- Title Page
- About This Book
Chapter One: Word of Mouth Goes World of Mouth
- Is Social Media Just a Fad?
- Who Cares What You Are Doing?
- JetBlue Helps Reduce the Travel Blues via Twitter
- Foreign Friends Are Not Forgotten
- Search Engines and Social Media
- We No Longer Search for the News—It Finds Us
- Newspapers and Magazines Diminish in Power
- Playboy and the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue Are Stripped Down
- Idaho Bloggers Are Better Than New York Reporters
- Not All Bloggers Are Bad
- Crowd-Sourced Information
- A Touch of Bacon Salt on Your Social Media
- Micro Revenue Streams Huge for Social Media
- Dancing Matt—Something to Chew On
- Flying the Not-So-Friendly Skies
- Chapter Two: Social Media = Preventive Behavior
Chapter Three: Social Media = Braggadocian Behavior
- Just Do It, Did It
- Social Media Is the New Inbox
- “Are You on Facebook?” Is the New “Can I Get Your Phone Number?”
- Deep Dive into Dating 101
- Assess Your Life Every Minute
- Millennials—All about Giving Back
- The Next Generation Can't Speak
- Consumers Own Your Brand
- Kids Ages 2 to 17 Don't See Advertisements
- Turning Lemons into Lemonade with Fizzle
Chapter Four: What We Can Learn from Politics
- You and YouTube
- Open Those Closed Doors
- Can Google Predict the Next President, Product Trend, or Flu Outbreak?
- Is the Flu a Virus or Just Simply Viral?
- Digital Data: The New Exit Poll?
- Capturing Geographic Interest and Intent
- Fireside Chats and Presidential Texts
- Is the White House More BlackBerry or Mayberry?
- Free Pancakes, Anyone?
- Social Media Creates and Solves the Problem of Long Voting Lines
- Online Voting—The Future Is Now
- Even the Army Is Sharing Information
Chapter Five: I Care More about What My Neighbor Thinks Than What Google Thinks
- Buying the Right Child Car Seat
- Minivan or Hybrid?
- Blowing Out the Candles
- Bon Voyage, Online Travel Agents?
- Looking to Friends for Medical Advice
- Jared and Subway's Almost Missed Opportunity
- The Choices We Make
- Marketing to Zombies
- Leveraging Success
- Companion Credit Union: New Logo
- Where in the World Is Bangladesh?
- Chapter Six: Death of Social Schizophrenia
Chapter Seven: Winners and Losers in a 140-Character World
- Does ESPN Have ESP?
- Stop the Charade—Nobody Is Perfect
- Free Labor
- The Tom Sawyer Approach
- Everybody Wants His or Her 15 Minutes of Fame
- Become a Modern-Day Pied Piper
- Everybody Is Twittering, but Is Anyone Listening?
- TV Repeats Mistakes of the Music Industry
- NBC Earns Fool's Gold in the Olympics
- TV Shows Viewed through the Internet
- Adjust Shows Based on Fast-Forward Behavior
- Scrabulous—A Fabulous Example
- Advertising within Social Networks Is Actually Effective
- Content and Conversation Will Drive Awareness—Not Advertising
- Don't Put All Your Eggs in One Basket
- Second Life Equals Idle Life for Coca-Cola
- Search Engine Optimization for Facebook
- John Deere Mows Over Facebook
- Sheep without a Shepherd
Chapter Eight: Next Steps for Companies and the Glass House Generation
- Power to the People
- Customers Get Paid for Their Search Efforts
- Join Them Before They Beat You
- Role of Search
- What Happens When the Internet Advertising Structure Collapses?
- Where Have All the Banners Gone?
- Search Engine Results Are Still Prehistoric
- Paid Search Relevancy Dilemma
- Oral Communication Skills Decline
- Is the Journalistic Interview Dead?
- Mobile Me
- Field of Nightmares: Lufthansa and American Airlines
- A Truly Interconnected Web?
- You Don't Find a Job; It Finds You
- Hiring the Internet Generation
- Tony Tweets
- Southwest Is No Ding-a-Ling
- Chapter Nine: Social Media Rolodex and Resources
- Chapter Ten: Social ROI
- Chapter Eleven: Social Success Secrets (Give Them to Me Now!)
- Chapter Twelve: Blogging: What Works
- Chapter Thirteen: 100+ Social Media Tools
- Chapter Fourteen: Making Viral Videos
- Chapter Fifteen: Social Media for B2B
- Chapter Sixteen: Case Studies
- Chapter Seventeen: Social Analytics: Big Data and Beyond
- Chapter Eighteen: Social Organizational Structure
- Chapter Nineteen: FAQs
- Chapter Twenty: Teacher and Company Resources and Exercises
- Socialnomics Summary
- About the Author
- Title: Socialnomics: How Social Media Transforms the Way We Live and Do Business, 2nd Edition
- Release date: November 2012
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781118232651
You might also like
Analyzing Social Media Networks with NodeXL, 2nd Edition
Analyzing Social Media Networks with NodeXL: Insights from a Connected World, Second Edition, provides readers with …
Leading with Strategic Thinking: Four Ways Effective Leaders Gain Insight, Drive Change, and Get Results
Be a more effective leader with strategic thinking Leading with Strategic Thinking reveals what effective leaders …
Thinkers 50 Strategy: The Art and Science of Strategy Creation and Execution
The World's Leading Business Minds on Today's Most Critical Challenges Featuring W. Chan Kim, Renee Mauborgne, …
Socialnomics: How Social Media Transforms the Way We Live and Do Business, Revised and Updated
Praise for Socialnomics "It's obvious that Erik Qualman's passion is social media." — Dan Heath, New …