In this anticipated video series, Neal Ford and Mark Richards examine the responsibilities of a software architect, specifically the knowledge and skills you need to be effective in that role.
The second video in the series, Software Architecture Fundamentals Beyond the Basics, advances the discussion from Developer to Architect by covering application, integration, and enterprise architecture. You’ll evaluate architectures (including making formal processes like ATAM more agile and effective) and various architectural frameworks:
- Application architecture: Understand the impact that modern engineering practices like Continuous Delivery have on architectural decisions. You’ll learn about different abstractions, their pros and cons, and how to effectively choose between them.
- Integration architecture: Examine the pros and cons of SOAP vs REST, as well as integration hubs like ESBs as an architectural pattern, and some common integration patterns.
- Enterprise architecture: Delve into centralized and decentralized approaches, 4 types of strategies for decision making, and evolutionary architecture and emergent design.
Discussion augments the material throughout, providing differing opinions and contexts on many subjects.
About the presenters
Neal is Director, Software Architect, and Meme Wrangler at ThoughtWorks, a global IT consultancy with an exclusive focus on end-to-end software development and delivery. Before joining ThoughtWorks, Neal was the Chief Technology Officer at The DSW Group, Ltd., a nationally recognized training and development firm.
Mark Richards is an experienced hands-on software architect involved in the architecture, design, and implementation of microservices architectures, service oriented architectures, and distributed systems in J2EE and other technologies.
Clearing a path from developer to architect and enriching that path once you arrive.
Software architecture is a fast-moving, multidisciplinary subject where entire suites of "best practices" become obsolete practically overnight. No single path or curriculum exists, and different types of architecture—application, integration, enterprise—require different subject emphasis. Whether you’re at the outset of a career as an architect or in the midst of such a career, series editor Neal Ford has curated this collection of tools and guides for aspiring and seasoned architects alike.
Table of Contents
Software Architecture Fundamentals
- Architecture Tradeoffs 00:31:01
- Continuous Delivery Part 1 00:51:08
- Applying Abstraction 00:22:13
- Choosing and Comparing Architectures 00:25:19
- Web Services and Messaging 00:31:33
- SOA Fundamentals 00:28:46
- Integration Hubs 00:22:07
- Continuous Delivery Part 2 00:49:18
- Enterprise Architecture Approaches 00:36:32
- Enterprise Architecture Strategies 00:28:17
- Evolutionary Architecture and Emergent Design 00:31:35
- Title: Software Architecture Fundamentals Beyond the Basics
- Release date: April 2014
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491901175