“Big data” is ubiquitous, but legal considerations regarding the collection and use of such data can get overlooked with significant consequences for all involved. This video walks through the best practices businesses should follow when working with big data to avoid triggering legal scrutiny. Topics include: providing transparency and choice around data practices; special considerations when dealing with sensitive data; attention to the organization’s data collection philosophy; support for a compliant culture; exercising due diligence on the frontend; including appropriate terms in contracts; and considerations for managing the data life cycle and data hygiene.
- Explore data handling practices that are likely to increase or reduce legal risk
- Obtain practical strategies and best practices to avoid becoming a legal target
- Understand the legal do’s and don’ts of using big data to drive business decisions
- Gain awareness of the legal expectations and best practices for big data practices
Alysa Z. Hutnik is a partner in the Advertising & Marketing and Privacy & Information Security practices at Kelley Drye & Warren LLP in Washington, DC. Alysa is editor-in-chief of the American Bar Association (ABA) Data Security Handbook, the past chair of the ABA's Privacy and Information Security Committee, and a frequent presenter on big data legal issues at O'Reilly Media's Strata + Hadoop data conferences.
- Title: Special Considerations for Legal and Ethical Management of Data
- Release date: October 2017
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491994191
You might also like
Agile Project Management with Scrum
The rules and practices for Scrum—a simple process for managing complex projects—are few, straightforward, and easy …
Fall in Love with the Problem, Not the Solution
Unicorns-companies that reach a valuation of more than $1 billion-are rare. Uri Levine has built two. …
How to Do Nothing
A galvanizing critique of the forces vying for our attention-and our personal information-that redefines what we …
Nudge (Revised Edition)
Every day, we make decisions on topics ranging from personal investments to schools for our children …