After completing this chapter, students should be able to do the following:
• Model SCRs for AC applications and specify their model parameters.
• Model voltage-controlled switches.
• Perform transient analysis of AC voltage controllers.
• Evaluate the performance of AC voltage controllers.
• Perform worst-case analysis of AC voltage controllers for parametric variations of model parameters and tolerances.
The input voltage and output current of AC voltage controllers pass through the value zero in every cycle. This simplifies the modeling of a thyristor. A thyristor can be turned on by applying a pulse of short duration, and it is turned off by natural commutation due to the characteristics ...