Start Making! is a program developed by the Clubhouse Network to engage young people all over the world in Maker-inspired activities. With this guide, you will discover how to plan and coordinate Start Making! projects in your home, school, library, community center, after-school club, or makerspace. You'll learn strategies for engaging young people in creative thinking, developing individual and team projects, and sharing and reflecting on their creations. Each session includes a list of the supplies you'll need, step-by-step instructions for completing the projects, and prompts for stimulating discussion, curiosity, and confidence. These fun do-it-yourself (and do-it-together) projects teach fundamental STEAM concepts. Dip into the activities once a week, run them as a week-long summer activity, or go through the guide in any way that works for you. By offering your own Start Making! program, you can inspire young people in your community to develop creative ideas, learn new skills, and share their creations.
Table of Contents
- Part I: Get Ready to Start Making!
Part II: Start Making! Sessions
- Start Making! Session Flow
- Session 1: Light It Up: Paper Circuits
- Session 2: Make It Sing: Programmable Musical Creations
- Session 3: Paint with Light: Illuminated Wands and Photography
- Session 4: Give It Form: 3D Forms
- Session 5: Change the Move: Art-Making Bots
- Session 6: Sew the Circuits: E-Textiles
- Session 7: Final Open Make: Personalized Projects
- Session 8: Show and Share: Community Showcase
- Part III: Keep Making
- Afterword: A Message to All Makers
- About the Clubhouse Community
- About the Authors
- Title: Start Making!
- Release date: April 2016
- Publisher(s): Make: Community
- ISBN: 9781457187919