How to build effective business relationships online
So you’ve met someone, exchanged business cards and you plan to make contact with them because you hope they will become a valuable business connection.
The most likely thing that will happen after you’ve gone your separate ways is that you will do a quick check online to see what Google has to say about this person (and probably their company too). Rest assured, if you’re Googling them, they’re probably Googling you. So, what will they find out about you? Are you web worthy and Google friendly?
Read the following chapters to learn how to:
• become web worthy
• get onto social networks
• mind your digital body language.
Be web worthy
For many people, Google is the most important tool on the web.
What would a new contact find if they Google you, and what can you find out about them?
There are a few things to note when you’re doing a search:
• Are you on the first page or is it someone else with the same name? It can be confusing to someone who doesn’t know you.
• Is there a photograph of you? This may simply be your avatar, the photo on your LinkedIn profile or maybe a conference photograph.
• Click on images within the search and see what pops up.
• Are there any photos of you with a glass of wine in your hand? It’s easy to look like a drinker even ...