Looking at How Affiliate Programs Work
Revenue-sharing programs are simple to set up and easy to run as a sideline to your existing Web site. No kidding: Earning money through an affiliate program boils down to five steps:
- Find a program that offers a product or service you like.
- Sign up online by completing the affiliate agreement.
- Place links to the program on your existing Web site.
- Actively promote the affiliate program through banners, newsletters, and other suggested online marketing tactics.
- Collect revenue.
On the surface, these steps are exactly what's required of you. Revving up the revenue stream takes a little more of your time and energy, of course. The amount of effort is minimal, though, compared to other online money-making strategies you might try.
Here are the secrets to building a lucrative affiliate-marketing program:
- Find a good match. Think about your site's audience and the type of information they're looking for. Finding affiliate programs that offer products and services that appeal to your built-in customer base gives you a head start toward success. Similarly, if you plan to create a Web site around affiliate programs, match your marketing efforts to that prospective customer. If your site is marketed to business owners, an affiliate program for a toy store doesn't go over well with your customers. However, a site created to appeal to the demands of working mothers, or home-based working moms, is a much better fit with a toy store.
- Drive traffic.