How statistical thinking and methodology can help you make crucial business decisions
Straightforward and insightful, Statistical Thinking: Improving Business Performance, Second Edition, prepares you for business leadership by developing your capacity to apply statistical thinking to improve business processes. Unique and compelling, this book shows you how to derive actionable conclusions from data analysis, solve real problems, and improve real processes. Here, you'll discover how to implement statistical thinking and methodology in your work to improve business performance.
Explores why statistical thinking is necessary and helpful
Provides case studies that illustrate how to integrate several statistical tools into the decision-making process
Facilitates and encourages an experiential learning environment to enable you to apply material to actual problems
With an in-depth discussion of JMP® software, the new edition of this important book focuses on skills to improve business processes, including collecting data appropriate for a specified purpose, recognizing limitations in existing data, and understanding the limitations of statistical analyses.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Introduction to JMP
Part One: Statistical Thinking Concepts
- Chapter 1: Need for Business Improvement
Chapter 2: Statistical Thinking Strategy
- CASE STUDY: THE EFFECT OF ADVERTISING ON SALES
- CASE STUDY: IMPROVEMENT OF A SOCCER TEAM’S PERFORMANCE
- STATISTICAL THINKING STRATEGY
- CONTEXT OF STATISTICAL THINKING: STATISTICS DISCIPLINE AS A SYSTEM
- VARIATION IN BUSINESS PROCESSES
- SYNERGY BETWEEN DATA AND SUBJECT MATTER KNOWLEDGE
- DYNAMIC NATURE OF BUSINESS PROCESSES
- PROJECT UPDATE
- Chapter 3: Understanding Business Processes
Part Two: Statistical Engineering: Frameworks and Basic Tools
Chapter 4: Statistical Engineering
- STATISTICAL ENGINEERING
- CASE STUDY: REDUCING RESIN OUTPUT VARIATION
- CASE STUDY: REDUCING TELEPHONE WAITING TIME AT A BANK
- BASIC PROCESS IMPROVEMENT FRAMEWORK
- CASE STUDY: RESOLVING CUSTOMER COMPLAINTS OF BABY WIPE FLUSHABILITY
- CASE STUDY: THE REALIZED REVENUE FIASCO
- BASIC PROBLEM-SOLVING FRAMEWORK
- DMAIC FRAMEWORK
- DMAIC CASE STUDY: NEWSPAPER ACCURACY
- PROJECT UPDATE
- Chapter 5: Process Improvement and Problem-Solving Tools
- Chapter 4: Statistical Engineering
Part Three: Formal Statistical Methods
- Chapter 6: Building and Using Models
- Chapter 7: Using Process Experimentation to Build Models
Chapter 8: Applications of Statistical Inference Tools
- EXAMPLES OF STATISTICAL INFERENCE TOOLS
- PROCESS OF APPLYING STATISTICAL INFERENCE
- STATISTICAL CONFIDENCE AND PREDICTION INTERVALS
- STATISTICAL HYPOTHESIS TESTS
- TESTS FOR CONTINUOUS DATA
- TEST FOR DISCRETE DATA: COMPARING TWO OR MORE PROPORTIONS
- TEST FOR REGRESSION ANALYSIS: TEST ON A REGRESSION COEFFICIENT
- SAMPLE SIZE FORMULAS
- PROJECT UPDATE
- Chapter 9: Underlying Theory of Statistical Inference
- Chapter 10: Summary and Path Forward
- Appendix A: Effective Teamwork
- Appendix B: Presentations and Report Writing
Appendix C: More on Surveys
- WHAT IS A SURVEY?
- THEN, WHAT IS A SURVEY?
- HOW LARGE MUST THE SAMPLE SIZE BE?
- WHO CONDUCTS SURVEYS?
- WHAT ARE SOME COMMON SURVEY METHODS?
- WHAT SURVEY QUESTIONS DO YOU ASK?
- WHO WORKS ON SURVEYS?
- WHAT ABOUT CONFIDENTIALITY AND INTEGRITY?
- WHAT ARE OTHER POTENTIAL CONCERNS?
- WHERE CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION?
- Appendix D: More on Regression
- Appendix E: More on Design of Experiments
- Appendix F: More on Inference Tools
- Appendix G: More on Probability Distributions
- Appendix H: Process Design (Reengineering)
- Appendix I: t Critical Values
- Appendix J: Standard Normal Probabilities (Cumulative z Curve Areas)
- Title: Statistical Thinking: Improving Business Performance, Second Edition
- Release date: April 2012
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781118094778