How to Negotiate Work Drama
Prepare for Detours and Roadblocks
Spot Work Drama
Work drama is as inevitable as traffic jams. If you live and work with other people, you negotiate regularly with both traffic and drama. Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to post warning signs around your known offenders? You could point out the Complainers and Energy Drains you’ve spotted and caution others to prepare for detours and roadblocks.
Classic Slogans about Complainers
Unfortunately, posting signs around the office isn’t enough to deter chronic Complainers. Classics are:
“No Complaining Zone”
“If You’re Not Part of the Solution, You’re Part of the Problem”
“Lead, Follow, or Get Out of the Way”
“Put Up or Shut Up”
Are You Negotiating Work Drama?
Determining where you have work drama isn’t difficult. Complainers and Energy Drains are obvious. Work drama:
- reduces productivity and innovation.
- creates a lack of trust and support among employees, peers, and leadership.
- results in unnecessary investments of time, energy, and money.
- produces confusion and a negative atmosphere.
- costs your organization high performers and devalues your reputation.
- distracts everyone from getting work done.
Work drama creates stress, worry, ...