Don't learn the hard way—get work advice from some of the world's most successful people, all in one place!
Work is a tricky business—the politics, the workload, the career ladder. It can take years and years of battling away and learning through mistakes to fully get to grips with the dos and don'ts. What if you could fast track that process? Cut out all those years of learning the hard way and working it out for yourself? Enter Stuff I Wish I'd Known When I Started Working, the unique guide to making work work! Fergus O'Connell has had a wonderfully varied career spanning three decades, and in this book, he will teach you the things it takes others years to figure out. You'll also find nuggets of wisdom and invaluable career advice from some of the world's most successful people—people like Oprah Winfrey, J.K. Rowling, Steve Jobs, Richard Branson and Jeff Bezos.
Whether you're new to the workforce, changing roles, or just stuck in a professional rut, this book shows you what you need to know to get ahead. By learning from the common mistakes of others, you can avoid making those mistakes yourself—and possibly skip a few rungs on the corporate ladder.
Quickly learn what others have taken years to work out
Get nuggets of work wisdom from some of the world's most successful people
Learn how to get more done in less time, and stimulate your creativity
Aim high, and get where you're going faster
You'll spend the majority of your waking hours at work for the majority of your life. Make it time well spent. Learn how to be more effective, more accountable, more visible, and less afraid. If you want a seat on the bullet train to success, Stuff I Wish I'd Known When I Started Working provides the tips and tools you need. Buckle up.
Table of contents
- So Why Did You Write the Book, Fergus?
- OK, So What’s the Plan?
- Aiming High – The only limits are the ones you set yourself
- Appreciating Life – It’s about how you see things
- Being More Productive – Why the answer is not 16-hour days
- Bosses – What they’re like and what they like
- Commitment and Perseverance – One gets you started, the other keeps you going
- Common Sense – It’s not all that common but it’s a skill you can learn
- Communication – You gotta keep ‘em in the loop
- Creativity – It’s not just for artists
- Decision Making – Figure out the real issue and stop faffing
- Email – Step away from the computer!
- Failure – It’s good to fail
- Having a Purpose – Find something you like to do and you’ll never work a day in your life
- Keeping Your Business Going – Don’t run out of money
- Making the Sale – People don’t like to be sold to – but they love to buy
- Managing People – How our natural tendency to manage is often the opposite of what we ought to do
- Meetings – Just because everyone else goes doesn’t mean you have to
- Moving Up – Show you can do what you’re aiming for
- Negotiation – There must be something in the deal for everyone
- Networking – Why you should never throw away a business card
- Organizations – Why they’re not actually run by senior management
- Presentations – You don’t need to be led by PowerPoint
- Projects and Getting Stuff Done – Why you’re probably being mistaken for Santa Claus
- Reports and Reporting – Why this is your chance to save some rainforest
- Starting Your Own Thing – Just get out there and see if people will buy it
- About the Author
- About ETP, Fergus’s company
- Also by Fergus O’Connell
- You Can Contact Me
- End User License Agreement
- Title: Stuff I Wish I'd Known When I Started Working
- Release date: December 2014
- Publisher(s): Capstone
- ISBN: 9780857085702
You might also like
Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow, 2nd Edition
Through a series of recent breakthroughs, deep learning has boosted the entire field of machine learning. …
Head First PMP, 4th Edition
What will you learn from this book? Head First PMP teaches you the latest principles and …
The Art of Leadership
Many people think leadership is a higher calling that resides exclusively with a select few who …
Introducing Python, 2nd Edition
Easy to understand and fun to read, this updated edition of Introducing Python is ideal for …