Short films have come into their own, not least in part due to the incredible new ways to distribute them, including the Web, cell phones, new festivals devoted to shorts--even television and theatres. This is the ultimate guide for anyone who's made a short film and wonders what to do next. Whether your short film is meant to be a calling card, a segue to a feature film, or you just want to recoup some of the costs, this book describes the potential paths for distribution. Written by the short film programmer of the Tribeca Film Festival and featuring contributions from top film festival directors, as well as studio, marketing, and technology executives, this book shows you what's important to the decision makers and gatekeepers. This is the definitive handbook filled with insider information available nowhere else.
Table of contents
- 1. Testing the Waters: The Indie Landscape
- 2. Learning to Float: The Buyers
3. The Deep End: Exploring All Options
- Why Should You Investigate Competitions?
- Why Should You Think Beyond Traditional Narrative Film?
- Why Should You Care About The Academy Awards?
- What Else Should You Think About?
- Plympton’s Dogma
- The Fragile Emotion
- Life in Short
- Conversation with Tom Quinn and Carter Pilcher
- Rudiments of the Short Film
- What’s a Short Film, Really?
- 4. How I Learned to Swim: Filmmaker Survival Stories
- 5. Little Fish, Big Pond: Thinking Globally
- 6. No Lifeguard on Duty: Internet and New Technology
7. Navigate the Rapids: Film Festivals
- Running Time
- Premiere Requirement
- Completion Date
- Exhibition Format
- A Briefing on Shorts
- Show ’Em Your Shorts!
- Conversation with George Eldred
- Some Serious Funny Business
- Conversation with John Polson
- Your Short Film and the LGBT (Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transgender) Film Festival
- Conversation with Trevor Groth
- 8. Waterlogged: My Story
- Swim Test: The Workbook
- Title: Swimming Upstream: A Lifesaving Guide to Short Film Distribution
- Release date: July 2012
- Publisher(s): Routledge
- ISBN: 9781136061257
You might also like
Presentation Skills That Will Take You to the Top (Collection), 2/e
Jerry Weissman’s brand new collection of 4 authoritative books on making outstanding presentations Four breakthrough books …
Raindance Writers' Lab, 2nd Edition
If you're looking for a straightforward, practical, no-nonsense guide to scriptwriting that will hold your hand …
Building Microservices, 2nd Edition
Distributed systems have become more fine-grained as organizations shift from code-heavy monolithic applications to smaller, self-contained …
Designing Data-Intensive Applications
Data is at the center of many challenges in system design today. Difficult issues need to …