TRANSITION TO THE NEW SYSTEM
This chapter examines the activities needed to install the information system and successfully convert the organization to using it. It also discusses postimplementation activities, such as system support, system maintenance, and project assessment. Installing the system and making it available for use from a technical perspective is relatively straightforward. However, the training and organizational issues surrounding the installation are more complex and challenging because they focus on people, not computers.
- Be familiar with the system installation process.
- Be familiar with the elements of a migration plan.
- Understand different types of conversion strategies and when to use them.
- Understand several techniques for managing change.
- Be familiar with postinstallation processes.
Making the Transition to the New
The Migration Plan
Selecting the Conversion Strategy
Preparing a Business Contingency Plan
Preparing the Technology
Preparing People for the New System
Understanding Resistance to Change
Revising Management Policies
Assessing Costs and Benefits
Enabling Adoption: Training
Applying the Concepts at Tune Source
Preparing the People