Make your AirPort network fly!
In this title about classic 802.11b- and 802.11g-based AirPort networking, Wi-Fi networking expert Glenn Fleishman shows you how to select the best networking gear (both Apple's AirPort hardware and cheaper options), position a base station for optimal performance, configure devices, and lock out snoopers.
Learn the four things to consider when purchasing hardware (and what device to avoid!), solutions to seven common Internet configuration problems, how to connect a USB printer to a base station, and four ways to extend your network's range. Whether you're just getting started with wireless or you have an existing network you want to expand or make more secure, you'll find useful information that will save you money and time. Cool extras! Locate adapters for older Macs and learn the best ways to configure AirPort Express and AirTunes!
Read this ebook to learn the answers to questions like:
How do I work with Keychain Access?
How do I configure AirPort Express extras?
How do I connect to a network and manage profiles?
How do I connect with WPA Enterprise?
Help! How do I diagnose network troubles in Tiger?
How do I handle dynamically assigned addresses?
How do I set a password to restrict access to my base station?
Includes coupons worth $15! Coupons at the end of the ebook save you $10 on IPNetRouterX from Sustainable Softworks and $5 from any order at Small Dog Electronics! (In other words, use both coupons and the ebook will make you $5. Hard to beat that.)
Table of contents
- Read Me First
- AirPort Networking Quick Start
- Wireless Basics
Pick a Base Station
- Consider an AirPort Extreme or AirPort Express
- Decide What to Buy
- Don’t Buy Older AirPort Base Stations
- Consider a Software Base Station
- Consider a Wireless Gateway Alternative
- Buy Subsequent Access Points More Cheaply
- Set Up Your Base Station and Local Network
- Set Up Your Internet Connection
- Configure AirPort Express Extras
- Connect Your Computers
- Setting Up a Shared USB Printer
Improve Coverage Area and Range
- Add Additional Access Points for Roaming
- Bridge Wirelessly
- Extend with HomePlug
- Add an Antenna
- Solve the Titanium PowerBook Range Problem
- Set Interference Robustness
- Talk to Your Neighbors
Secure Your Network
- Likelihood, Liability, and Lost Opportunity
- Simple Tricks That Don’t Work
- Protect with WEP
- Protect More Easily with WPA
- Log In Securely with WEP or WPA-Enterprise
- Deploy Application Security
- A. Setting up a Software Base Station
- B. Connect without AirPort Adapters
- C. AirPort Management Tools
D. Dynamically Assigned Addresses
- Don’t Get Your Service Canceled
- Configuring DHCP with AirPort
- Configuring DHCP with the Linksys WRT54G
- Software-based DHCP servers
- Wired Broadband Gateways
- Pass Traffic to Individual Computers on a Private Network
- E. Diagnose Network Troubles in Tiger
- About This Ebook
- Title: Take Control of Your AirPort Network
- Release date: May 2007
- Publisher(s): Peachpit Press
- ISBN: 0975950355
You might also like
Take Control of Your 802.11n AirPort Extreme Network
This is the Safari online edition of the printed book. This title begins with a quick …
Take Control of Your Apple Wi-Fi Network
Make your Apple Wi-Fi network fast, reliable, and secure! Updated November 20, 2015 Join Wi-Fi wizard …
SOHO Networking: A Guide to Installing a Small-Office/Home-Office Network
Choose the right network-wired or wireless Set up your hardware and Windows networking—step by step! Share …
Using the Asus Eee PC
Asustek has introduced a single line of ultra-portable computers that could surpass all of Apple's Macintosh …