Edit and enhance your PDFs easily with PDFpen 13!
Version 3.0, updated May 4, 2021
Polish your PDFs with Smile's PDFpen, for a fraction of what Adobe Acrobat costs! Michael E. Cohen explains how you can create, combine, edit, annotate, and protect PDFs. Also learn how to perform and edit OCR, fill out forms, sign forms digitally, make interactive forms, and much more. Covers Mac and iOS/iPadOS versions!
These days, an ever-increasing amount of “paper”—contracts, tax forms, bills, reports, and more—comes into our lives as PDF files. We generate this virtual paper too, since it’s so much easier to save a document as a PDF and send it to a colleague via email than it is to print and send via fax or email. To read, edit, and manipulate all these PDFs, you need the appropriate tools and skills.
Given the high price of Adobe Acrobat DC Pro, many Mac users have turned to Smile’s affordable PDFpen apps to help them sign PDF forms, handle scanned documents, make changes in existing PDFs, create new PDFs from a variety of sources, and to export PDFs to other file formats (including Word and Excel). With Take Control of PDFpen, you’ll learn how to do all these tasks and more on your Mac with PDFpen or PDFpenPro or on the go with PDFpen for iPad & iPhone.
If you haven’t used PDFpen before, this free book is an excellent way to find out what it has to offer.
Take Control of PDFpen begins with a guide to purchasing options: PDFpen versus PDFpenPro, from Smile versus the Mac App Store, and the advantages of the iOS/iPadOS version. Next, you'll meet PDFpen with an overview of the PDF format and a tour of the interface.
With the basics out of the way, highlights of what you'll learn to do include:
- Add and remove pages, and combine pages from multiple files into one PDF.
- Mark up a PDF with highlights, comments, editing marks, and more.
- Compare two different parts of a PDF with the Split View.
- Edit a PDF by fixing typos, adding text, formatting text, and redacting confidential text.
- Scan a document into a PDF, and make the text editable with OCR—with single or multiple documents.
- Add photos or scans to a PDF quickly with Continuity Camera and an iOS/iPadOS device.
- View and work with OCRed text in the OCR layer (PDFpenPro only)
- Add clickable links, headers, footers, page numbers, and images.
- Annotate a document with lines, shapes, text, and callouts.
- Make a clickable table of contents (PDFpenPro only).
- Add a watermark to each page of a PDF.
- Password-protect a PDF. And (PDFpenPro only), prevent others from printing or editing a PDF.
- Turn a PDF into a formatted Microsoft Word document, or (PDFpenPro only) export it in Excel or PowerPoint format.
- Reduce the size of your PDFs.
- Create blank PDFs with stationery.
- Add a digital signature with DocuSign (PDFpenPro only).
And, you'll find directions for working with PDF forms:
- Fill out forms with ease.
- Add a handwritten signature.
- Apply a digital signing certificate.
- Print just form entries on a pre-printed form.
- Create an interactive PDF form (PDFpenPro only) that can collect data and send it to you via email or the web. You can add an interactive signature field, which makes it easy for the form to be signed online.
An appendix describes the useful AppleScripts that ship with PDFpen.
This ebook was created in collaboration with Smile, with PDFpen's developers tech editing the book.
Table of contents
- Read Me First
- PDFpen Quick Start
- Get Your Hands on PDFpen
- Learn about PDF Files
- Understand the Tools
- Navigate a PDF Document
- Create a PDF
- Take Notes on a PDF
- Copyedit and Review a PDF
- Fill Out PDF Forms
- Edit a PDF
- Make an Interactive PDF Form (Pro Feature)
- Publish Your PDFs
- Use PDFpen in iOS and iPadOS
- Appendix A: The PDFpen AppleScripts
- Learn More
- About This Book
- Copyright and Fine Print
- Title: Take Control of PDFpen, 3rd Edition
- Release date: May 2021
- Publisher(s): Take Control Books
- ISBN: 9781947282551
You might also like
Python Projects for Beginners: A Ten-Week Bootcamp Approach to Python Programming
Immerse yourself in learning Python and introductory data analytics with this book’s project-based approach. Through the …
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Codeless Data Structures and Algorithms : Learn DSA Without Writing a Single Line of Code
In the era of self-taught developers and programmers, essential topics in the industry are frequently learned …
Practices of the Python Pro
Practices of the Python Pro teaches you to design and write professional-quality software that’s understandable, maintainable, …